How to swim Screaming 1/4 Mile - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-07-2010   #1

Golden, Colorado
How to swim Screaming 1/4 Mile

Hey folks,
Screaming Quarter Mile on Clear Creek is going to start taking names this week. It just got into the juicy zone.

I remember rolling twice in Screaming 1/4 Mile at 1300 some number of seasons ago and staring at a swim victim standing under the cliffs on the right side as I went by at 15 mph, wide eyed and out of breath.

If you swim then focus on the fact that you really, really, really should swim to the road side of the river. If someone in your group swims to the cliffs and your team doesn't get them back over quickly then the Fire Department will be there to help you before you know it...

See you out there

Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2010   #2

x, x
Paddling Since: x
agreed, if you do swim here the prefered lines are: right, boof. left, left, left. if you make it around the bend after the diversion it is right, right, right, under the tree and then go hard left. if you see the playpark your almost out.

ps it is a long walk back to the lower put in from past coors, so hit your roll and if not, hey, grab at what ever trees you can hold on to.
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010   #3

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 94
Send a message via Yahoo to Gary E
LOL, this is retarded. If you swim anywhere get out of the river. Right,left, a rock. Better to be safe then sorry. And yard sale your shit too, give your friends something to Chase.
Gary E is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2010   #4

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 94
Send a message via Yahoo to Gary E
I do agree with bob if you can't get out.
Gary E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010   #5

Lakewood, Colorado
Obviously Bob has the lines nailed, but I think what Ture is trying to nail home is that if you do not swim to the left the fire dept will be there to "rescue" you.
woodboat75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010   #6

Boulder, 80301
Paddling Since: 2005
Great post, I swam the mile last year at 800. Here is my advice, stay in your boat it is so much more fun that way!
Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010   #7

Golden, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodboat75 View Post
Obviously Bob has the lines nailed, but I think what Ture is trying to nail home is that if you do not swim to the left the fire dept will be there to "rescue" you.
Yep. Channel 9 News will be there with the video cameras too.

I was being half smart ass and half serious... someone I know had it happen to them. Total pain. What happens is the person in charge of the swiftwater team takes over the rescue, as in telling your team to drop their ropes and stand down... while they block a lane of traffic on highway 6 and set up a river crossing with their raft to give the swimmer a ride back to the road.

If you swim there this week and you panic and forget that I said swim left, and you are standing under the cliff on the right with the Fire Department setting up on the left, my advice is to jump in and swim across to the road and bow to Channel 9 and then start running down the canyon with the Fire Department chasing you to get you to sign their report.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010   #8
ec

A-Town!, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
When I swam there last week, I unfortunately swam to the right. Then, my buddy Mike disappeared chasing my gear.

My biggest concern was the "rescue" crew showing up. So, I basically climbed up 100 feet and out of sight until my friend returned.

He threw me a line and in 30 seconds I was "safe", and happy I wasn't "rescued" by the officials.
ec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010   #9

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ture View Post
Yep. Channel 9 News will be there with the video cameras too.

I was being half smart ass and half serious... someone I know had it happen to them. Total pain. What happens is the person in charge of the swiftwater team takes over the rescue, as in telling your team to drop their ropes and stand down... while they block a lane of traffic on highway 6 and set up a river crossing with their raft to give the swimmer a ride back to the road.

If you swim there this week and you panic and forget that I said swim left, and you are standing under the cliff on the right with the Fire Department setting up on the left, my advice is to jump in and swim across to the road and bow to Channel 9 and then start running down the canyon with the Fire Department chasing you to get you to sign their report.
Ture, you've done it again. Just sprayed water all over the place. I'd pay good money to see that move. It would make national news. Makes me tempted to go up there just watch the carnage afterwork today.
goldcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010   #10
ec

A-Town!, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
looks like it's already begun...

Empty kayak in Clear Creek, report of person downstream - The Denver Post
ec is offline   Reply With Quote