How to know how bad you injured your shoulder - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 08-19-2011   #1

Farmington, Utah
Paddling Since: 2009
How to know how bad you injured your shoulder

So I took a really hard hit to my shoulder on Gorilla on the Green Narrows. I was able to roll up, and paddle out with pain though. I kinda was dazed from the hit which has not happened before, and I have taken some hard hits before. It mainly hit right at the bend of my shoulder the part that is mainly exposed. It also hit my shoulder blade. Long story short it seems to be getting worse, but I can fully rotate it (With moderate to severe pain) It feels like something is going on in the ball, and socket. My question is how bad could it be? Could it be a very bad internal bruise?

Here is a video I put together. I believe when my boat rocks to the side is when I take the hit. This is to kinda show the force that it was at.

The hit is around 2:00 so you don't have to sit through the whole thing. Just looking for advice from some hard core creekers.

Flying_Spaghetti_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2011   #2

. ., Kairotic
Not to give you a lecture. . . but instead of asking hard core creekers, most of whom have taken a few shots on the noggin themselves, you should ask a doctor, more specifically one who specializes in shoulder injuries. If you have insurance take a trip to the hospital and visit the doc. He or she will probably take some x-rays and maybe run a CAT scan. You will then have a better sense of the damage.

Good luck.
fullmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011   #3

Farmington, Utah
Yeah I know. I am all for going to the doctor, but sometimes people go to the doctor, and it not needed. If it continues for to much longer I will get some x rays. Just trying to see if I am over reacting to the injury.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2011   #4

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2010
Could be the inflammation going through it's course for healing the damage. Kind of like you don't notice the bruise until it's swollen and hurts a lot the next day. Give it a couple days to do its thing. If there is permanent/severe damage it'll still show up on the MRI in a couple days after you see if the pain subsides anyways.
Old 08-19-2011   #5

Farmington, Utah
Cool man I am hoping it heals naturally. I hope it is just an internal bruise.
Old 08-19-2011   #6

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Just chill out and don't paddle for a week or two. Re-evaluate the stability of the joint prior to getting back on the water. Xray isn't going to be sensitive or specific for the type of damage that you might have suffered from, and I don't think you want to get a $3,000 MRI right now, so I would advise you to take some naproxen or something and sit out a week or two. If it's still bothering you, consider going to PT for an evaluation (if you insurance or bankroll will support it) or an orthopedic surgeon for stability testing/MRI.
GAtoCSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011   #7

Farmington, Utah
Yeah that is what I was thinking. I thought about hand paddling for a while in hopes of not putting to much pressure on it, and building up the muscles around the injury. I also will cool it on Gorilla until it feels better.
Old 08-19-2011   #8

Summit County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
As a medic, I would encourage you to get an X-ray. You may not have broken it totally but possible cracked it, stress'd the joint, chipped your acromium arch/process or your humoral head. Either way you don't wanna wait, sooner your healed, the sooner your back in the water. Plus, what happens if you have small fracture, and complete it to full compound on the river??? ......that would suck to be your friends and for you! Play it safe!
What you describe in rotator pain does seem like it will be fixed with duck tape and bailing wire!
Hope all is well!
Coon
Old 08-19-2011   #9

Summit County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Sorry........."won't be fixed with......"
Old 08-19-2011   #10

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2010
I might add never treat an injury with heat. Give it some ice therapy.