How to find out when State will shut the water off? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 08-20-2007   #1

Dodge City, Kansas
Paddling Since: 1972
How to find out when State will shut the water off?

I want to drive up this Fri or Sat to Canoe and Kayak near Salida. Is there any way to find out when the authorities will shut off the dams. I know they normally do it on Aug 15th. I assume by looking at the flows that they have not done it yet.

mikeweber3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2007   #2

Salida, Colorado
Aug. 15 is accurate.
tress33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007   #3

placerville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
so augmented flows are done?
steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2007   #4

Dodge City, Kansas
More

Somewhere I thought I read that they were continuing to release water because of increased levels in the reservoirs.

Does anyone know who to call to ask, or if there is some website that may post advance plans?
Old 08-20-2007   #5

Loveland, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeweber3 View Post
Somewhere I thought I read that they were continuing to release water because of increased levels in the reservoirs.

Does anyone know who to call to ask, or if there is some website that may post advance plans?

All,
The August 15 date only marks the end of the Voluntary Flow Program that Reclamation particpates in every year. The dams still release water as downstream water rights call for it. But, the peak white water season is a concern during July and early August. As a result, the Flow Program was developed to help augment flows during that time of year, when needed.

This year, more regular rain helped maintain flows in the Arkansas, so we did not release as much water through the Flow Program.

Here's the press release I sent out last Wednesday.

Today, August 15, Reclamation is concluding its annual participation in the summer portion of the Voluntary Flow Program for the Arkansas River.

Every year, Reclamation participates in the Flow Program to help maintain the fishery between Lake Creek and Pueblo Reservoir. The program goes year-round, with specific cfs targets for certain times of year. During July 1 - August 15 each year, Reclamation augments flows up to 700 cfs to enhance recreational boating. Between August 15 & September 3, we facilitate exchanges to reduce the flows on the river to provide the fishery with more opportunities to feed. From April 1 through May, we try to maintain flows around 400 cfs to give the fry (hatch season) a better opportunity to survive.

This year, weekly rains kept the river flowing at a decent level, reducing our need to contribute as much water as we have in drier years. Our total summer contributions to the Flow Program this year were 2,219 acre-feet. Last year, a drier year, Reclamation contributed 8,552 acre-feet.

For more information, please contact Kara Lamb with Reclamation’s Eastern Colorado Area Office at either (970) 962-4326 or [email protected].

Feel free to give me a holler if you have any questions regarding the Flow Program
Best,
Kara
Bureau of Reclamation
klamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007   #6

Dodge City, Kansas
Thanks for response, but ?????

Kara,
Thanks for the response. Do you think they will still be augmenting through this weekend?
Old 08-20-2007   #7

Loveland, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeweber3 View Post
Kara,
Thanks for the response. Do you think they will still be augmenting through this weekend?
Hi Mike,
Nope, we're done augmenting. The Flow Program (augmentation for white water) ended on August 15. Unfortunately, my press release did not generate a lot of media coverage, so the information about it did not get as widely distributed as I would like. Yet, another important reason to post here!

Best,
Kara
Bureau of Reclamation
klamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007   #8

e-town, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
how about shoshone? any idea on what agreements they came up with to have water through september or later?
liquidchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007   #9

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Shoshone

I believe the Shoshone power plant has the most senior water rights in the state.

It runs pretty much continuous throughout the year as long as you can take the cold.

The lowest monthly mean since 1960 was 547 cfs in Febuary 2002.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/monthly/?referred_module=sw&site_no=09070500&por_09070500_ 1=345434,00060,1,1940-12,2007-06&start_dt=1960-12&end_dt=2007-05&format=html_table&date_format=YYYY-MM-DD&rdb_compression=file&submitted_form=parameter_s election_list
teletoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007   #10

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Shoshone's not THE oldest water right in the State by any means, I think that would be the Union Colony's ditch near Greeley, where the Prior Appropriation System was established. That said, the Shoshone Power Plant has a very senior water right that I think dates to the 19th century. Right now they're the only active call on the river and are exercising a 1955 water right.

Colorado's Decision Support Systems
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote