How old is too old!!! - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-06-2009   #1

bc, CA
Paddling Since: 2007
How old is too old!!!

I started paddling 2 summers ago and have completely fallen in love with it. I play boat in the pool all winter and get on a river as soon as there is enough water in the spring. The only problem is that I am 52 years old. Is there a future for me. Are there any older paddlers out there that can give me something to look forward to.
Thanks a ton in advance!

brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2009   #2

surrounded by mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981
It's about the journey, not the destination

No ofense, but you post a seemingly silly question. I mean, you say you just fell in love with it but sound like you wonder if you already should give it up. What's the deal? Are you afraid it is too good for you or you not deserving enough? Seriously! Unless your body is injured, so to not allow continuing, then why ask. Why not just keep enjoying it. Age doesn't matter. Lets hope we can still paddle at least III and IV when we're 80. There are plenty of older boaters these days. Some of us started long ago and are still going strong. Others seem to just be getting into it. It's all good. Kayaking can bring you more happiness than almost any sport ... if you love it. It's all about enjoying it. See where it takes you. Keep the faith and leave no trace.

Cheers!
Old 02-06-2009   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenda View Post
I started paddling 2 summers ago and have completely fallen in love with it. I play boat in the pool all winter and get on a river as soon as there is enough water in the spring. The only problem is that I am 52 years old. Is there a future for me. Are there any older paddlers out there that can give me something to look forward to.
Thanks a ton in advance!
Last summer I paddled the FIBARK race with a paddler who was 71 and I think he had more fun than anyone else on the river. So, in answer to your question, yes, there is a future for you.

As Ken said, it's all about enjoying it. As long as your having fun, don't worry about it. Once you stop having fun, then it's time to put up a post.
scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2009   #4

Indian Hills, Colorado
hell yeah. get after it. "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing--absolute nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing,' he went on dreamily: `messing--about--in--boats; messing----'"
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009   #5

Golden, Colorado
Quote:
I started paddling 2 summers ago and have completely fallen in love with it. I play boat in the pool all winter and get on a river as soon as there is enough water in the spring. The only problem is that I am 52 years old. ...
Starting out at 50 isn't a problem. You have a huge advantage over every other 50 year old kayaker out there: you are fresh! Your shoulders are not a blown out mess of torn thingies, tweaks, and scar tissue, unlike just about every other 50 year old kayaker out there.

Another advantage of starting late: you are crafty, wise, and afraid of stuff that can kill you and that will serve you well on the river.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009   #6

Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via Skype™ to danglauser
There's no such thing as too old

HI Brenda,

I recently moved to Colorado from California. Back in California your question would seem rather silly, there are quite a few folks much older than you who paddle. It's common so I wouldn't let that bother you.

See you on the river,
Daniel
danglauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009   #7

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
I'm a youngin' been rafting since 2000, and only have 1 season of kayaking so far, but the best saying that I heard was by an older paddler on one of Jackson Kayaks promotional dvds;

"You don't stop kayaking when you get old; You get old when you stop kayaking!"
Airborne2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009   #8

Willi..., Willimina, OR
Paddling Since: 68
Quote:
Thanks a ton in advance!
There is a beach on lake powell where us old boaters come to rest. The fish will nibble at our toes. & we'll save a boatload of money on a funeral.
garystrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009   #9

Rockledge, Florida
I understand the question. I started when I was 39 and asked the same question. I surfed for years when I was younger, got a job, got away from the sport, got fat and out of shape (made a lot of money though), suffered a huge loss in my life, then got handed a paddle. Am crazy into kayaking for 4+ years now (it's therapy for me for sure), got back in great shape at 43 3/4 (!), and asked the same question. I will paddle for the rest of my life. Check out this Pic (it's not me but it's an idea of what's possible!:

Entries for Grayling-to-Oscoda canoe marathon hit all-time high - Bay City Times - MLive.com

Just read the story about Amazn' Al and look at the old coot (bet he could kick my tail).

Live strong.
LagoonYaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009   #10

Colorado Springs Paddling Since: 1983
Brenda,

I'm 55, have kayaked for 25, and hope to get another 25 out of this body. Kayaking with thoughtfulness is great for older bodies. I don't know of any other non-motorized way (outside of dogsledding) that can get you into the wilderness with less effort and with a high degree of comfort. It's amazing really. Just learn which kayakers in your group you should follow and which you should steer clear of
Mike Hartley is offline   Reply With Quote