How not to kayak a low head dam. Short vid. - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-13-2010   #1
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
How not to kayak a low head dam. Short vid.

Short vid of how not to kayak a low head dam.
They guy drops his phone when kayaker disappears so it is really only the first 20 seconds with vid. I think it has sound but I didn't listen.

Good kayaking gone bad video by 3on1 - Photobucket

Super scary. Apparently there is an overhang compartment of some kind in there.

A tethered rescue diver went in and grabbed the guy and got him out. He was fine.

carvedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2010   #2

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Point of contention with the video title: That's not 'good kayaking'.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010   #3

Amen to that El Flaco - No helmet, absolutely no boof (instead the classic lean way back and pencil in). Should be titled "Bad Kayaking gone worse"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2010   #4

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
ahahahahahahah epic loser, no helmet brings his damn family along,wearing his bright orange walmart pfd, and doesnt even boof.. wasted effort and than gets stuck behind the curtain..... WOW i dont think turkey legs and shlitz can come close to this. sorry for being an ass but what was that about natural selection?
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010   #5
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
This reminds me (though much scarier) of the old classic which is surely worth a reposting:

American Whitewater - Why we boof...
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010   #6

This is the write up about it on AW, all I can say is wow...

Kayaker rescued from Cumming's Dam By Anita Miller News Editor — A cheer went up on the gravel bar beneath Cumming's Dam Saturday afternoon after San Marcos Area Recovery Team (SMART) diver Dan Misiaszek rescued a kayaker who had become trapped behind the rushing water. J.R. Campbell, 28, of San Antonio had been sucked under the dam while trying to run it and was trapped in a compartment built into the face of the dam. He had been there for about two hours, his friend said, before SMART arrived. During some of that time, a South Hays Fire Department volunteer was on the dam and able to communicate with Campbell. Misiaszek entered the water at approximately 4:30 p.m. Less than five minutes after that, he surfaced downstream with a jubilant Campbell in tow. James Lacewell, who had been kayaking with Campbell, said they had run the old dam many times in the past but not this year, when the river is running significantly higher. Lacewell said as they approached the dam, he had held a rope that was attached to Campbell, but "as soon as he hit the water he was sucked under." Lacewell said he put on a life jacket and had another friend hold a rope while he attempted a rescue. "I swam as hard as I could but I never even got close to the base of the falls." He said the group had run other dams on their excursion Saturday. "We were nice and confident. This one just sucked him under." He said Campbell is a decorated combat veteran who had undergone survival training. "That's probably what allowed him to make it." Campbell initially told paramedics standing by that he was fine, but almost collapsed twice as he was helped to a waiting ambulance. "I want to thank these fine gentlemen for getting me out," he said. Misiaszek attributed the quickness of the rescue to the well-timed actions of his support team. "It went like clockwork due to excellent teamwork between the South Hays Fire swift water rescue team and SMART," he said. He said once he reached Campbell, he gave him a "pony tank" from which to breathe before they re-entered the rushing water and let the river carry them free of the currents at the base of the dam. "We had to submerge about 20 feet to get below the curtain of water and get to the bottom of the dam where the current is less turbulent. When we hit the bottom I gave the rope signal and the topside team pulled us out and secured us downstream when we surfaced." Misiaszek said he made sure Campbell could not be separated from him. "I made him put his arm through my vest. Even if he wanted to let go I had him clamped. I wouldn't let go." Cumming's dam is located on the San Marcos River just below its confluence with the Blanco. It's familiar territory for Misiaszek, who rescued a 16-year-old who had also become trapped in a compartment on the dam's face. That occasion, in August 2002, was the first time the SMART team — usually called out to recover bodies — had accomplished a rescue. That story was widely reported in Central Texas and was featured in the April 2003 edition of Reader's Digest. William Hendryx' article was titled "Drama in Real Life — Swept Away." Saturday "brought back memories," Misiaszek said. While Campbell was being treated in the ambulance, Lacewell lined up the entire rescue team for a photo. He said their group intended to continue to their take-out point a short distance downriver. Someone would have to take on Campbell though. His kayak had disappeared and was presumed to be still under the dam trapped by the pounding force of the water.
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010   #7

Boulder, Colorado
That shit is scary, it shows what kind of trouble under educated kayakers can get into and the need for more experienced boater to pass along thier knowledge.

on a lighter note, kevin that video was fucking funny, I hope he was OK but I watched it more than once.
-tom
tj@cu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010   #8

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
That's not 'good kayaking'.
An astute observation, Flaco.

Quote:
...as they approached the dam, he had held a rope that was attached to Campbell, but "as soon as he hit the water he was sucked under." Lacewell said he put on a life jacket and had another friend hold a rope while he attempted a rescue.
I didn't see a rope in the vid but if the above is true wouldn't that make Campbell "live bait?"

And Carve, wouldn't you, more than most folks, know that kind of image resolution didn't come from a cell camera? Uh, or at least my cam...

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010   #9
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy H. View Post
An astute observation, Flaco.

I didn't see a rope in the vid but if the above is true wouldn't that make Campbell "live bait?"

And Carve, wouldn't you, more than most folks, know that kind of image resolution didn't come from a cell camera? Uh, or at least my cam...

-AH
The older I get the less I know. And I always thought I would get smarter......

as good as I am with photography, I suck at vids. Bought Final cut pro and have tried to load video from 4 different places to edit a little snowboard video and I can't even get it imported.

I can't even get iMovie to work. What little video I have played with was cut and paste in Quicktime.....

So I am unqualified to even comment on video at this point.
Hope you had a good time up here Andy.
carvedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010   #10
Definite maybe

Weld county, Colorado
Paddling Since: 0001
that was stupid...video tape it so the whole family can relive your drowning accident...or maybe attempted suicide
NoCo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kayaking