How much water do I need for my trip? - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-16-2009   #1

Los Alamos, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1983
How much water do I need for my trip?

I have a 5 day San Juan trip coming up in July and I am wondering how much drinking/cooking water I will need to bring. Is there a general rule of thumb for summer river trips in the desert?

We will be using river water for dishes and washing and will have a moderate amount of beer/soda for the trip. How much water per person per day do you usually bring?

Any recommendations of water jugs? Ones you would definitely avoid?

gbmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2009   #2

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbmaz View Post
I have a 5 day San Juan trip coming up in July and I am wondering how much drinking/cooking water I will need to bring. Is there a general rule of thumb for summer river trips in the desert?

We will be using river water for dishes and washing and will have a moderate amount of beer/soda for the trip. How much water per person per day do you usually bring?

Any recommendations of water jugs? Ones you would definitely avoid?
The rule that I have gone by is one gallon per person per day, minimum. You probably want to bring more, and bring a water filter, just in case. Get some of those sturdy five gallon jugs from NRS or an outdoor store. Take milk jugs, fill them with water, freeze them, put them in your cooler. They work way better than block ice, because they will not swamp your cooler, they last a long time, and at the end of the trip you will have ice cold water to drink.
Claytonious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009   #3

1 gallon per day per person is the standard rule of thumb and will leave you with extra.
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2009   #4

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
We took 26 gallons for a 4 day trip with 2 families and did fine. We soaked our dishes using riverwater and conserved where practical. A spare filter never hurts.
rivermanryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009   #5

Drinking water is a serious luxury, not to mention ice~ I agree 1 G /day and always bring a filter! Ive drank bleached water b4, ughhhhh, never again,lol
Tiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009   #6

Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggy View Post
Drinking water is a serious luxury, not to mention ice~ I agree 1 G /day and always bring a filter! Ive drank bleached water b4, ughhhhh, never again,lol
Ewww, did you have any stomach issues after that?
Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009   #7

Little Village, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Ditto on the gallon-a-day minimum. I use water-filled, half-gallon milk jugs for cooler ice. You can drink some really cold water off the top of the jugs as they melt. Also, I start with a full 100 oz. Camelback to take care of my Day 1 hydration needs.

July is really hot in SE Utah, so a little extra water is a good thing.
Old 03-16-2009   #8

backcountry ski bum
I've always gone with the 1 gal per person a day too but rarely use that much. The San Juan in July though might be a trip where you'll use it all and maybe then some. i also bring lots of powdered gatorade. It really helps to keep your electrolytes up.
stillkicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009   #9

Los Alamos, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1983
Thanks for all the great feedback. Some things I knew,
but a few things were new to me.

NRS used to sell 5 gallon tan military style water jugs, but now they only have 2.5 gallon ones. The manufacturer is Scepter and I think they are the actual ones used by the military. I read somewhere that they are getting hard to find because Scepter no longer sells them in the civillian market.

Does anyone have a good source for these or something real similar?
gbmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009   #10

aurora, Colorado
Stackable Containers - US Plastic Corporation

try these.
sea hag is offline   Reply With Quote