how low can you go... - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-20-2012   #1

Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2000
how low can you go...

Looking for any info for low water on the selway. I have a permit on the 28th and its looking like it will be right at or below 1 ft at Paradise. Have heard 0.9 ft is the raft lower end. Will be taking a super light 14 raft.

manderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2012   #2

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
funny, I was just wondering the same thing!
mpaulkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012   #3
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
Its good to go.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2012   #4

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1492
We did it at 0.9 and dropping in 2006. 4 rafts, but not super-lightly loaded. We got down, but we got stuck a dozen times, had to line Ladle, and Wolf Creek was barely runnable. I have some photos....not pretty. I would say treat it like a self-support kayak trip, and still be prepared to drag and pull. I would not take rafts again at that level myself.
Old 07-20-2012   #5
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoPadlr1 View Post
We did it at 0.9 and dropping in 2006. 4 rafts, but not super-lightly loaded. We got down, but we got stuck a dozen times, had to line Ladle, and Wolf Creek was barely runnable. I have some photos....not pretty. I would say treat it like a self-support kayak trip, and still be prepared to drag and pull. I would not take rafts again at that level myself.
My buddies experience in a raft as well. same level .9.

The fishing has to be off the freaking hook.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012   #6

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
give this a look. some useful pics and beta for low water.

California Creeks - Selway River

i rowed it in a narrow 14ft avon ranger last year ~mid august. freakish snowpack, of course. we had to fly in to shearer due to bridge construction to paradise, as well so we did not have gauge info but guess around 1 ft+ or so. only a half ass guess though. don't sue me if i'm understating our level. the biggest trick and scout was piecing together a line through ladle and trying estimate where a 6.5 ft wide raft would fit through. i found the rest of the river was mostly read and run(super techincal R & R though) with a couple quick horizon line scouts to make sure i didn't drop into a pile of rocks.

here is a pic from the trip with the line i came up with for ladle and all i could see from about 4 vantage points. you will still get stuck on some just-below- the surface rocks and rock-n-bounce off them. the right side run was completely fucked with with picket fences of rocks and a jammed log far right by the shore.

if you suck at low water, technical then you will have a long, painful trip. if you are good then it will be a cool,fun,but challenging trip. and you will get stuck on rocks no mater how good you are on the oars. there are places with just no clean lines for a raft. be ready to leave some of your boat on the river, for sure.

good luck. leave the rod home too. no fish on the selway.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ladle- lowwater.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	4955  
upshitscreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012   #7

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
two more bits of advice...

the narrower the boat, the better. a great place for a super duper puma or super puma. even if you have to rent. the wider the raft, you will get stuck more without a doubt.

for skill levels, for example....rowing the MFS at low water should be pretty easy/straight forward for you. if you or anyone in your group struggled with the MFS at low water then this probably isn't for them. it's a big step up in that type of difficulty without a doubt.

hope it helps.

and again, no fish. sorry.
upshitscreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012   #8

Flagstaff, Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by carvedog View Post
My buddies experience in a raft as well. same level .9.

The fishing has to be off the freaking hook.
Pretty much-hang up on a rock and pull the fly rods out for a few casts
Old 07-21-2012   #9

Flagstaff, Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by upshitscreek View Post
two more bits of advice...

the narrower the boat, the better. a great place for a super duper puma or super puma. even if you have to rent. the wider the raft, you will get stuck more without a doubt.

for skill levels, for example....rowing the MFS at low water should be pretty easy/straight forward for you. if you or anyone in your group struggled with the MFS at low water then this probably isn't for them. it's a big step up in that type of difficulty without a doubt.

hope it helps.

and again, no fish. sorry.

Thanks for the pic and the info. Figured that there will be a fair amount of bouncing off the rocks and hanging up, ran the MFS at 1.6-1.7 and that was how the enitre upper 25 miles were made for challenging but fun days. I'll be sure to leave a few fish in there for you.
Old 07-24-2012   #10

idaho falls, Idaho
I've been on the Selway at 1.2. My wife and I kayaked it but the other three guys were in two 16ft cats and a 15ft raft. Ping Pong was the worst part. Ladle was no big deal; took the same line as upshitscreek. It is tougher than MFS at 1.6.

I'm looking at launching Aug 1 with my 14 foot raft.
whee is offline   Reply With Quote