How is the wood in your Local Creek? - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-20-2012   #1

West of Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
How is the wood in your Local Creek?

Reminder to get out and clean your local creek in case we do get some runoff! We have been working two big trees in our upper Boulder Creek section. It looks like the Boulder town run has a huge cottonwood in it around 6th street. Anyone checked out 4 mile down? I don't see anything from the road, but have not walked it.

Advertisement

Old 03-20-2012   #2

x, x
Paddling Since: x
I've got a few logs in the big thompson to get going on....thanks for the reminder.

I think i'll go up today.
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012   #3

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Was climbing up at the Wall of the Nineties in Clear Creek the other day. There is a 30+ foot log in the Blackrock Run on the west side of tunnel 2 right below the parking area for the climbing. Will try and get up there and remove it this week if its still there.
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2012   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbuilds View Post
I've got a few logs in the big thompson to get going on....thanks for the reminder.

I think i'll go up today.
Bob, if you have the time, it would be good to get that overhead log out at the end of the upper III section before the handicap access or at least the downward branches trimmed. I know you can duck it, but last year at high water it was tight to duck and it obstructed the trees below and one of them fell river wide just below that got me. I went under, my boat pinned and I was sucked out of my boat. It was my closest call on the river that I have ever had. We freed the log that got me and it went into a safe place, but we never did get the overhead log out as the water was too high.
Old 03-20-2012   #5

Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
Hard to get to the wood in OBJ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2743785185.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	521.5 KB
ID:	4437  
Old 03-21-2012   #6

x, x
Paddling Since: x
Sugenis and I went up today. We cleaned up the rapid with the two large logs overhanging the river. we were able to remove all the tines that stick down into the water and removed the smaller of the two trees.

One tree remains, rather large. about 30" in diamiter across the top of the river. no branches are sticking out or down into the river. it is smooth across top and bottom. very stable.

I belive the drop to be runnable up to about 500cfs. same as last year. it is much safer now with nothing sticking down. The strainer/beaver dam is still in tact on the river left side and will be left alone.

I am contimplating trying to get the big tree, problem is, even if it gets cut up into chunks it it still going to weigh a ton.

nothing was left to float down into the gnar or below. everything we cut was stuffed into the beaver dam on the left and the large base log was drug up on the bank high out of the way.

who can share about tree removal when they get big? i do not want to make it worse or unrunnable. if it gets cut it will drop and make it NR.

ideas?
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012   #7

If you got the lower branches off that overhang that is great. Thanks for your work up there!