How is the wave below chatfield at 3000? - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-24-2015   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
How is the wave below chatfield at 3000?

Looks like they are releasing a big flow from chatfield. Anyone been on the wave just below it at 3k? Saw a nice pic at lower flows.

deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2015   #2

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
What are the most worthy areas of this stretch? Is ti worth running form Chatfield to union?

How much farther does it maintain fun waves/ rapids?

I ran this once for a south platte river clean up, but flows were low and memories fade...Are there long stretches of fun whitewater, like the stuff between trestle and confluence?

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015   #3

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Ha - I was looking at that wave just below the outflow in the last few weeks, because I drive by there a few times a week. Found this link to a video of the wave at 3030cfs:
Colorado Surf Supply @coloradosurfsupply Sundown session a...Instagram photo | Websta (Webstagram)

Here's another at 2500:
Colorado Surf Supply @coloradosurfsupply Another great day...Instagram photo | Websta (Webstagram)

Problem is accessing it- because of flooding closures in Chatfield, you have to park on the north side of C470 and walk down the path to the dog park to get to the wave. Or possibly park in the industrial area off 85 and walk in from there. Either way, you'll be carrying your boat a ways. But it could be worth it & fun - let me know if you're going to try to get in there, I may join you...
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2015   #4

There aren't any long stretches of whitewater from Chatfield to Union. There are a few drop stuctures with boat chutes that create holes/rapids, one is right at the put-in, then there is a a small drop just above the bridge at Mineral, and then three nice drops adjacent to
Reynolds Park/Breckenridge Brewery. The rest is a fairly scenic float that moves quickly at this level.
RCarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015   #5

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Thanks for the links and info El Flaco. Walking with the boat had discouraged me from wanting to check it out.

I think they will be releasing from chatfield for a while. They have a fair bit of water to get rid of.

Dave, I am not sure what else it out there, but my guess from driving by some of it is that there is a lot of flatwater on the south platte punctuated by drops here and there.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015   #6

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Looks like the walk in from the industrial park is about 8/10th of a mile, the walk from C470 is about 1-1/4mi.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015   #7

Littlefun, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
You can get within 50 yards of the put in near C470. Access using South platte canyon. i'd check it out using google maps first.kinda tricky.

PM me if you are runningit tomorrow after work. I'll break out the ducky to St. Pats brewery.
PoppyOscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015   #8

Littlefun, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
sorry mis-read, you are looking at the actually outflow from the dam.
PoppyOscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015   #9

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
Surfed the wave just below the reservoir yesterday evening. Super glassy and fun on a SUP. Not sure if it would be worth the hike for a kayak. Also, a buddy of mine went to surf it today and ran into a ranger who said ALL activity on the South Platte is currently prohibited and comes with a $100 fine.

It took me about 8 minutes on a bike to get there from the north side of C470, and my buddy about 30 minutes to walk.
Old 06-24-2015   #10

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
That is the slowest Wave in Colorado...I'd like to peer down at the actual outflow, about 150 yds.upstream ,it is scary at 1000(not runnable)...I wonder what C470 put in drop does this high...Dave the only 'busy' sections are Reynolds Landing to Lee Gulch - 3 pairs of drops,Union plus U-hole( and rapid) and Oxford rapid/playspot ,and Confluence to Trestle,but there are many other singular drops or playspot widely scattered separated by flat water: C470,Mineral,Public Service,Florida,Mississippi A& B,Alameda,DeadDog / Waterworks,and Zuni..DeadDog is a serious rapid this high.. some playspots like Public Service look pretty mean...
cayo 2 is online now   Reply With Quote