how is glenwood park at 16000 cfs - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-01-2008   #1

Avon, Colorado
how is glenwood park at 16000 cfs

I'd like to hit Glenwood wave this week. Does anybody know how it is at 16000 and more CFS?

Peterblch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2008   #2

Bum
Send a message via MSN to Jiberish
Jackson Kayak - Kayak News, Kayak Photos, Kayak Videos and Kayak Stories

should give you a visual!
Team Jackson
Ben Guska
Jiberish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008   #3

16,000+ beta

The river right wave is outstanding at 16,000+. Not sure why some many are staying on the left at that level and a just a few go to the right. The left wave is good between 15,000 and 17,000, but surges in and out at this range. 17,000+ the left comes back in again (the level in the S. Wright video Ben posted.) Pretty amazing considering the designer builder expected it to be gone at 4,000.

I suspect that many are staying left because they think the right wave looks less managable. Staying on the surfers right shoulder of the right wave is quite fun and the meat of the hole is not as thrashing as one might think.

Have fun!
Aquaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2008   #4

Edwards, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaman View Post
The river right wave is outstanding at 16,000+. Not sure why some many are staying on the left at that level and a just a few go to the right. The left wave is good between 15,000 and 17,000, but surges in and out at this range. 17,000+ the left comes back in again (the level in the S. Wright video Ben posted.) Pretty amazing considering the designer builder expected it to be gone at 4,000.

I suspect that many are staying left because they think the right wave looks less managable. Staying on the surfers right shoulder of the right wave is quite fun and the meat of the hole is not as thrashing as one might think.

Have fun!
I like the river left wave because its a bit more manageable for me. Yes the river left side feature is a little less consistent (it surges and greens, sometimes right underneath you, sliding you off of the wave) than the river right side but I also find that it gives up bigger bounces because you can set up at the top and then bounce your way down the wave. On the river right side I find myself reacting to what the feature is giving me and sometimes in less control...not such a bad thing.
outdoormikeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008   #5

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
go there now

It was incredible at 15k on Saturday. River right/surfer's left is the ticket. The shoulder is really easy to surf and the pile is much friendlier than it looks. Reminded me alot of the surfer's left should at Skook...
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008   #6

Glenwood play park, 15500 to 17000 cfs.

The wave was preaty fantastic on Sunday. At 15500 the river left wave had a stable foam pile and was not terribly steep, it made for some great surf, clean 360's, and bouncing blunts we to be had. The river came up by the end of the day (16500 ~ 17000) and the wave started to go through a cycle: green out, curl up, crash on your bow, give up good surf. It got to be preaty iffy towards the end of the day, you either lucked out and got a good spot in the cycle, your you got a lot of water closing out on your head.

I moved over to river right towards the end of the day when there was the higer flows. It's steeper, has more foam pile, and a bit of a shoulder. It looks more intimidating but you get used to it preaty fast. It's definatly good to go at all levels mentioned. Don't know what the right side is like at the 15500 level, the left side was great for so long I just stayed over there most of the day.

Big thanks to the designers of this park. I'll be doing all my boating here until the wave is gone. Its the best surf I"ve had since vacationing to Montreal.

Chad
Chad_Sypolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008   #7

Indian Hills, Colorado
How's the Glenwood surf at 12k to 15k? Will be in town Wednesday and curious whether to schedule some boating time.
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008   #8

We were on on it yesterday, and it was great. What a cool community feature, there were probably 20 boaters and at least 10 people on Surf boards. Very friendly big wave.
ryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008   #9

Still sick. One of the videos on the Jackson site is at 13G's.
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008   #10

Golden, Colorado
hey all- i'm going to be in Glenwood this weekend and would like to check out the park. can someone give me the beta on it's location? and is it an actual park or are these waves natural do to the high flows?? thanks! -trev

Tags
ark