How does this video make you feel? - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-20-2009   #1

How does this video make you feel?

Body Glove | Entertainment

Will this sport be good or bad for the rivers?

Moresse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2009   #2

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Folks have been surfing rideable waves like Lunch Counter and Big Sur for 30 years. So it's nothing new. With the proliferation whitewater parks, you might see more alternative types of users (SUP boards, boogie boards and -gulp- PWCs), but generally these types of rideable waves aren't common enough to cause all the SoCal surf brats to move inland & get their asses beat down in a river with current.

Yeah, maybe online videos like this will expose these river waves to a few more surfers, but I think 99% would rather take a trip to Puerto Rico or Panama before travelling to Jackson for 1 wave that's only rideable at certain water levels. Plus - If you have ever tried it, it's not easy to paddle into a wave like Lunch Counter on a surf board. If I lived near Glenwood, I'd get a SUP for sure.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009   #3
doesn't need a fake name

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
That guy who did all the talking seemed really self-important. Why didn't they interview Eli Mack? Hasn't he been river surfing for like 20 years? I remember seeing photos of him on skook and number 11.
leif is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2009   #4

Bazzaro, Free
Paddling Since: 2020
I wish these guys/gals would wear life jackets. I don't want kids to see this stuff and think they don't need use safty gear because they are on a surf board. The river dosen't care and will eat you if it can.
dirtbagkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009   #5

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
He says "You fall you feel like your going to drown every time but somehow you don't" Sounds like someone inside his head is trying to get him to put a PFD and helmet on.
Swank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009   #6

leadville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swank View Post
He says "You fall you feel like your going to drown every time but somehow you don't" Sounds like someone inside his head is trying to get him to put a PFD and helmet on.
i agree my big question is where's the pfd. I think everyone on the river should have a pfd. even if it is a class I float.
g.soutiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009   #7

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Wasn't that the same guy that was in "Fast Times at Ridgemont High?"

But seriously, I'd like to see them in PFDs and helmets - the ocean has a rythm to the chundering you get so you can come up for air between waves, and generally doesn't have rocks you can get swept into. Granted the full wetsuits give some flotation, but being out there without PFDs sets a bad example on the rivers.

Quote:
He says "You fall you feel like your going to drown every time but somehow you don't"
Because he's very fit, a good swimmer, and has a surfboard to get onto and paddle to shore.
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009   #8

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
It makes me feel like driving to Jackson.

But it ain't like this is new.
Mike Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009   #9

Aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Surfing the river is very cool. Like others, I feel a pfd and helmet are needed. In the ocean the pfd is not needed since you have your board and the currents are not as strong as a river rapid. On a river, the surfers also do not need to duck under incoming waves so a pfd would not be a hindrance. I just hope we do not see Cali style localism moving onto our rivers.
ZGjethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009   #10

Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGjethro View Post
Surfing the river is very cool. Like others, I feel a pfd and helmet are needed. In the ocean the pfd is not needed since you have your board and the currents are not as strong as a river rapid. On a river, the surfers also do not need to duck under incoming waves so a pfd would not be a hindrance. I just hope we do not see Cali style localism moving onto our rivers.
Not to mention the added flotation one gets from salt water and the loss of flotation one gets from airated river water. These two aspects make a huge difference.
GPP33 is offline   Reply With Quote