How did you get started kayaking? - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-27-2010   #1

Phoenix, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2010
How did you get started kayaking?

Being a nube , but wanting to learn I have a question. When you first started what did you do to get better? When did you know you were ready to take the next step? Best advice you ever got? I will on the Poudre Filter run this Sat morning in a double ducky.

ArizonaAmature is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2010   #2

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Send a message via AIM to craven_morhead
I joined up with boaters who were better than I was, who had the patience to take me down runs I could handle. I read a lot of things online, though I'm not sure it helped any. Then, as soon as I could, I started trying to make easy runs harder, catching difficult eddies, etc.
craven_morhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010   #3

Cheyenne, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2009
I acquired tons of literature, DVD's and books on strokes and rolling. Then spent the winter working on paddle strokes and rolling in flat water. Every minute spent on flat water training pays dividends. Eric Jackson wrote a book called Paddle Strokes. The book is very well laid out and easy to understand. Go through it step by step and learn the drills. Along the way you will learn boat control also.

As far as knowing when your ready. I think that is more of a personal issue. You'll know when your ready.
LineDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2010   #4

Summit County, and Idaho
When I first started paddling, I SWAM! A LOT! But didn't give up. You go with people who are better than you but patient, and know your ability and can get your gear if you swim. Running the same areas over again give me confidence to make easy runs harder too.
Best advice I ever got was to pay attention, look where I want to go, and relax.
Fallingup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010   #5

Summit County, and Idaho
Okay....
I still SWIM! A LOT!!

just being honest.....
Fallingup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010   #6

Near water (hopefully), Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Rocky Mountain Adventures has some great one/two days kayaking classes you can take. Also boat with somebody better than you and who wont mind cleaning up your yard sales. See if you can find somebody to take you to a lake to learn some basics such as brace, roll, and strokes. Filter Plant is a great run to learn on enjoy!
smauk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010   #7

Longmont, Colorado
I started in a tube and a canoe. running play parks is always a good place to start. Golden, lyons, boulder. Apple valley, chutes, filter plant were all runs i did. Then started up the chain to things like Shelly's cottages, bridges, rustics, foxton, waterton, fractions, upper eagle, lower eagle. Then moved on to IVish stuff like Numbers, Upper mish, poudre park, lower clear, dumont, upper CC and so on and so forth.

I swam a bit in the beginning and really put some flat water time into getting my roll. Then battle tested it in play parks, alot.

Best thing to do is boat, every chance you get. Be serious about getting better, it won't happen unless you push it. There is a fine line between pushing it and knowing your limits, it is okay to walk. You don't want to end up having lost all confidence.
tellutwurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010   #8

Phoenix, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2010
This is good stuff. Looks like I will be in the Tempe Town lake (Phoenix, AZ) this summer getting better. The water will be warm and gross. Keep the post comming, this is a great little community forum.
ArizonaAmature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010   #9

Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
LOL, Tempe Town Lake, yes it will be gross but it will have less broken glass than the Salt River tubing section. Have fun!
Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010   #10

Denver, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to craven_morhead
Oh yeah, that paddle stroke book is fantastic. Recommended.
craven_morhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kayaking