How Crazy is it going to get? - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-10-2008   #1
-k-

Denver via GJ, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
How Crazy is it going to get?

So, with the average peak snow pack dates soon to arrive for most drainages, recent snow storms causing snow/water equivelents approaching graphical vertical lift off, relatively cool and overcast spring weather, what is it going to be like on the rivers this spring?

I've had some friends tell me about swimming Barrels and paddling Shoshone when it was over the bike paths in 95'/97' ish with typical "big water talk" of hearing the boulders shifting in the river bed. Also heard some killer Big Sur stories.

I would like to here some old school boaters thoughts on what we are in for this season (even on the lame class III's I paddle). I am old by boating standards, just have'nt paddled long enough to be old school. Finally getting a handle on things and it looks like this season might call for an immediate audible to class IV paddling.

So, please do tell me what I am in for, try and scare me off the river if you will, but for damn sure "bring on the ****ing water" (just hope someones there to drag my ass out of the water)!

Advertisement

Old 04-10-2008   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by -k- View Post
So, please do tell me what I am in for, try and scare me off the river if you will, but for damn sure "bring on the ****ing water" (just hope someones there to drag my ass out of the water)!
I share your enthusiasm! I would love to know what people are thinking, I mean if the South Platte drainage does as well as it did last year I would be so stoked! The Union Street Playpark here in denver was awesome last year with flows exceeding 3000cfs for close to a month (for reference the eddy flower write up seems to think that 700-900cfs is good at Union)

Can't wait for it to warm up and start seeing some real flows!
kevintee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008   #3
Roy

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
As crazy as you wanna get...

Quote:
I mean if the South Platte drainage does as well as it did last year I would be so stoked! The Union Street Playpark here in denver was awesome last year with flows exceeding 3000cfs for close to a month (for reference the eddy flower write up seems to think that 700-900cfs is good at Union)
The South Platte is basically up to last years peak 3 weeks earlier, and may top it after this latest storm gets tallied up!

As for Union, it IS good at 7-900--in Hollywood hole--which is nothing but a beat down that I want no part of at 3000!

At 3000, that Hawaii 5-O wave two below it is the place to be...
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2008   #4
Roy

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Still, I don't expect to get to '95 levels unless the magic keeps up thru May...
Old 04-10-2008   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy View Post
As for Union, it IS good at 7-900--in Hollywood hole--which is nothing but a beat down that I want no part of at 3000!
The best is when people just go in thinking its Union and don't scout or walk down or anything and drop STRAIGHT into it. I saw a guy go into it straight on at about 3850fps and he came out without his boat a second or 2 later and the boat came out a good 5 seconds later. Said he didn't pull skirt he got sucked right out. Its a real swirly eddy line on river left too so if it does spit you out in your boat you'll have a fun time rolling up haha.

We pushed an empty boat into that bad boy once and it didn't come out for a solid 15-20 seconds it was awesome. That is about as close to a 'must make' move you'll encounter in any play park or class 3 run. Remember to skirt it to the right!
kevintee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008   #6

Boulder, Colorado
that hole at 3000 was one of the biggest beatdowns I took last year, was totally outta contol. the best part about it was seeing my friend get worked after I did.
tj@cu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008   #7

Tom, the beatdown doesn't count when it's your imaginary friend. Everyone knows you don't have friends . Wanna cut class for Escalante next Thursday if it's going?

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
that hole at 3000 was one of the biggest beatdowns I took last year, was totally outta contol. the best part about it was seeing my friend get worked after I did.
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008   #8

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Union was fun last year. I did some nice unintentional rag doll style cartwheels in hollywood. Barely made it out of the hole still in my boat! I'll definitely be avoiding it if it gets high this year.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008   #9

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 94
Send a message via Yahoo to Gary E
It will be fine, you'll have a lot of fun
Gary E is offline   Reply With Quote