How Bad Will My Boat Kick my Butt? - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-05-2010   #1

How Bad Will My Boat Kick my Butt?

OK, I may have jumped the gun a bit. I've been out of whitewater for more than 5 years and I've been itching to get back in. I didn't really spend that much time on WW in the past so I was never particularly good. I still do touring paddling on local lakes, but my skills are lacking. My roll wasn't exactly bomber even back in the day, and it's nonexistent now.

I'm a little strapped for cash, so when I found a Dagger Ultrafuge for cheap, I brought it home. I remembered the Ultrafuge being bigger than the Centrifuge...but I was wrong.

I'm 5'8 and about 180 with 9.5 shoes. I'm working on the weight, but I'm still a fair amount over the recommended max weight of 150.

I paddled it today on a local lake while the wind was kicking 20mph or so. Continuous waves 12"-18". I had a great time and never felt uncomfortable in the boat, but I could tell I was riding a bit low.

So how bad will this thing kick my but if I take it on the river? I'm not in much of a position to buy something else, and I haven't seen anything even close to this low of a price. Should I cut my losses? Will it impact my ability to improve?

All advice is appreciated.

Advertisement

Old 05-05-2010   #2

The Road, Colorado
Paddling Since: '07
Send a message via Yahoo to Badazws6
I would cut your losses and get something else, your just to big for it if the weight suggestion maxs out at 150.

That being said, I am about your size and my first boat was a centrifuge and I credit it "kicking my butt" the first year but helping me become a better boater in the long run.

It WILL teach you edges.
Old 05-05-2010   #3

Detroit, Michigan
Paddling Since: 2009
I am virtualy your twin...but I have the Centrifuge. I must pay attention to keep the stern out of the water. I also had to move the seat forward about 2". Good luck...but I think you maybe in the market for a different boat.

Cheers,
Marc
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2010   #4

Thanks for the advice, guys. Please keep it coming.

If it turns out that I have to shop for a new boat, what older (read: cheaper) models should I look for?
Old 05-05-2010   #5

I roll about 175 and keep an ultrafuge in the stable. I love it and will never sell it. No good for low volume but it is awesome on bigger water (Lochsa, etc).
jkodadek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010   #6

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1988
i'd say keep the ultra and just get used to it. at 5'11" 180lbs I ran mine down the grand canyon as well as tons of technical class IV. I loved it for surfing and playing, too. It makes you maintain a very forward aggressive stance, which will improve your boating. I'm a big fan of use what you've got and have fun with it.
jjgards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010   #7

Detroit, Michigan
Paddling Since: 2009
I don't see it possible...but if it floats when you are in it...keep it. I will never sell the Centrifuge as it kicks AZZZ! Fun river play and fast!
I paayed some attention last year and thought that maybe similar boats of that era would have fit me better, although it is hard to say when standing in someones garage looking at a "good deal".
You could also make a choice as to what your paddling goals are. Play? Rivers? Trips? If there is indecision then go for one that is easiest to use i.e. proximity to water... and save for another next year. (this is where i am at).

Cheers,
Marc
Old 05-06-2010   #8

Thanks again!

There is a small play park on my way home from work that I can hit several times a week. River running will probably only happen a couple of times per month. I don't see any real river trips in the near future as I have too many other demands on my time.

I'll probably keep the Ultrafuge anyway with hopes that my wife will get interested. I guess I'll paddle it while I keep my eyes out for something that fits a bit better.

Any suggestions on good all-arounders I should watch for in the sub-$250 range?