Honduras Whitewater beta - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-02-2008   #1

Manhattan Beach, CA, California
Paddling Since: 1975
Honduras Whitewater beta

I will be spending the summer and fall in La Ceiba, Honduras. There are old threads on here (2005) dealing with that, and some old stuff on googling, but I am looking for newer info. Rios Honduras does not have website anymore, and doesn't answer email or phone calls. I know about Omega. Any new beta?

Does anyone know how to find the book by Andrew Hibbard?

Any experience taking boat down there on the plane? Airline hassles? Hassles with customs?

thnx
keith

keith beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2008   #2

Geologist, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
I hooked up with rios honduras pretty easily while in La Ceiba. When I was there, they only had playboats, but that was fine by my. Junior was my so-called guide but he never paddled with me. Apparently his boat was locked up at a guys house and when we went to get it, the house was locked. Nonetheless, he provided excellent beta on the rapids, drove shuttle, filmed me (with my camera) and provided an incredible lunch. Really cool guy. I ran the upper and lower sections of the rio congrejal and loved it. There were some sieves on the upper which was sketchy as i was alone. I don't know how you can contact them without the website or returning phone calls. Keep calling as they will probably not pay long distance bills to return your calls.

Good luck!
jonny water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008   #3

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...eta-17306.html
https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...uras-3110.html
https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...uras-6647.html

lots of beta on the site...search grasshopper....

I spent two winters in La Ceiba with Andrew and Junior. I have lost touch with all of those guys but my neighbor Zack still has some contact with Hibbard. I will try to find the book. I will also try to get an email for Junior. He is a very cool guy and will style you if you show up although I suspect the American style advance planning will be alittle thin.

Read this on Jacksonkayak for beta on taking boats. Once you are there you might be able to sell it to Junior and leave it behind.
Jackson Kayak - Kayak News, Kayak Photos, Kayak Videos and Kayak Stories

The Congrejal is epic and has everything from Class 2-5. There are area creeks as well and occasional ocean surf when a norte pushes through or hurricane. I miss that place very badly and can't wait to get back in a couple years when the kids are older. Have fun...
Mike Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2008   #4

Manhattan Beach, CA, California
Paddling Since: 1975
Rios Honduras

Jonny: thanks for letting me know that Rios H is still there. Did you rent boat from them, or did you take your own boat down there on the plane. If the latter: any advice on customs, etc?
keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny water View Post
I hooked up with rios honduras pretty easily while in La Ceiba. When I was there, they only had playboats, but that was fine by my. Junior was my so-called guide but he never paddled with me. Apparently his boat was locked up at a guys house and when we went to get it, the house was locked. Nonetheless, he provided excellent beta on the rapids, drove shuttle, filmed me (with my camera) and provided an incredible lunch. Really cool guy. I ran the upper and lower sections of the rio congrejal and loved it. There were some sieves on the upper which was sketchy as i was alone. I don't know how you can contact them without the website or returning phone calls. Keep calling as they will probably not pay long distance bills to return your calls.

Good luck!
keith beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008   #5

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
word this morning is that Junior may have moved to Florida. Not sure who what the status of Rios is. I will try to get you some more info.
Mike Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008   #6

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Don't forget La Mosquitia Ecoaventuras[website],Jorge is a great guy and has been around as long as Rios or Omega.Oscar Perez ,by the Dutch corner does rafting and has hookers at his boathouse,no lie.Omega has the advantage of being on the river and it is cheap to stay at Las Mangas.

Last I heard Junior's brother was working with Rios ,he may still be around.

Kieth,I could loan you my copy of that book and some other beta if you are around Denver.Jay 303 399 8572,not on the computer often till I get a new one.
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote