Honda element on shuttle - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-10-2010   #1

Moab, Utah
Paddling Since: 2006
Honda element on shuttle

Does anyone have an opinion one way or the other as far as the Honda element goes? Switching up from a jetta which has served me well but doesn't have the storage capacity or clearance for the roads I find myself on while running shuttle.

I know it's ugly, but I would love to get a sense of how it does in snow/mud and on washboarded dirt roads. Thanks!

Emmielou is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2010   #2

Northfield, Massachusetts
Went from Honda Civic to Subaru Forester a couple of months ago. My Honda was a great car and very reliable. Had over 200,000 on it when I sold it. My Forester is more comfortable and a great shuttle vehicle. 8.7 inches of clearance and I get 29 mpg which is much better than the Element. Interior room is not bad either. I bought the premium with manual transmission. I'm looking forward to many trips with it. Headed out west with boats and gear in July!
k1c1w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010   #3

Denver,, exhaustion
I also went with the forester over the element.... put 125,000 miles on it in under 4 years great vehicle. never had any problems. ... but that was a few vehicles ago for me.
adgeiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2010   #4

Lakewood, Colorado
Another Forester vote...quite a bit more ground clearance, better MPG, cheaper, and better AWD system. I love the way Elements look, the removeable seats, and the rugged interior, but they're overpriced, and if you have the rear seats in they don't have much storage space.
mjpowhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010   #5
Jefe Driver

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Ditched my F150 for a 09 Subaru Outback. Like the other posts, it's crazy comfortable for me and my passengers, plenty of room for gear and with Thule Kayak Stackers and load bars, can put up 4 big boats without any problems. AWD is bomber off pavement and in snow/rain, super gas mileage and more than enough ground clearance. I sprung for the manual transmission too.
FreeKickHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010   #6

x, x
Paddling Since: x
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmielou View Post
Does anyone have an opinion one way or the other as far as the Honda element goes? Switching up from a jetta which has served me well but doesn't have the storage capacity or clearance for the roads I find myself on while running shuttle.

I know it's ugly, but I would love to get a sense of how it does in snow/mud and on washboarded dirt roads. Thanks!
It appears you are getting a subaru....
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010   #7
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
I actually had my Element for a few years. My wife is still crazy about it. It's VERY roomy, lots of leg room in the back and just comfy. The problem is it's only 4 passengers, not 4wd and can't pull much (1,500 lbs). So we ended up trading it in for Honda Pilot (4wd, towing 5,000 lbs, 8 passengers, decent mpg). I have been very happy with the trade off now.

I end up always run the shuttle now though! But driving with 8 adults in the car pulling a trailer with two boats and going 85 mph on the way to WW from Cisco is great.
kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010   #8

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Upgraded from old Toyota truck to Pilot. Huge space. very comfortable. Seats 5 adults well. Back Compartment is roomy, although not as spacious as some. Third row seat is very handy for short shuttles (Read Westwater). Minor complaint is interior noise on rough dirt roads. The Element is very roomy but also noisy inside and are really expensive for essentially a pretty van. If you're looking for a Van type cargo rig the Chevy Astro/GMC Safari are utilitarian 4wd and way less money. Plus they still have rain gutters for racks!

hullflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010   #9

Woodland Park, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Honda Element

I looked at the Forester a few years back. I found I liked the handling of the Element way better. If you get the manual transmission, the mpg is about the same, and the AWD in the element is just as good as the Forester. I agree on some of the drawbacks, 4 seats and lack of towing capacity. The removal of the rear seats is steller! I built a bed in the back of my Element similar to a pickup and have sleeping space as well as storage underneath. The real drawback is the clearance and suspension. I am still debating whether it can make it down to Mineral Bottom.
JustinJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010   #10
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
It can, I've taken my Element down to Mineral Bottom, Sandwash, Nefferttiti, Cisco and many more offroads in Southern Utah. It's not the clearance.... it's how fast you are going prior to the obstacle! lol
kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote