Homeowners/Renters Insurance and Rafts/Kayaks - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 10-05-2009   #1

Cody, Wyoming
Homeowners/Renters Insurance and Rafts/Kayaks

so i recently filed a claim on my renters insurance for a stolen bike, and upon receipt of the claim check was reviewing some of the "fine print" about limits. my policy stated an aggregate limit (this limit is more restrictive than an item limit) on "watercraft" of $1000, so i called my agent to ask if whitewater rafts and kayaks would meet their definition of "watercraft". much to my surprise, all rafts and kayaks do meet their definition of watercraft and are not classified as personal property. in order to protect all my boats, the agent told me i would need to purchase an additional rider policy for just those items. i have a lot of "watercraft" in the garage with numerous kayaks and rafts, so if i had a major loss like a fire and all my rafts and kayaks were gone i would currently only get $1000 for the aggregate combined loss of them.

i find it surprising that the insurance company could lump rafts and kayaks together with other boats as "watercraft". hard hull boats with motors require registration with the state, while rafts and kayaks do not - doesn't that come into play with the definition? when discussing the rider policy, my agent also said it would include additional liability coverage "in case i caused an accident" with my raft or kayak - that sounds more like an issue for power boats than for rafts and kayaks. and the watercraft rider was expensive, like $100 a year vs. less than $50 for my current renters policy that has an insured value limit of over 6 times the value of just the boats, WTF??

just wondering if anyone here is an insurance agent and could shed some light on this. also, what is everyone else who owns rafts doing with this - did you buy an additional rider? i noticed there was a similar post on this topic a few years ago, anyone spurred into action by that with advice on how to handle rafts for a "reasonable" premium price? thanks in advance.

pbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2009   #2

summit, Colorado
I used to have Allstate, who required an additional rider to cover the raft and all its gear. I've switched to Hartford, and have been assured by my agent that it's all covered now under just the normal policy. I probably need to go read the fine print just to be sure....but I think the answer to your questions all depends on the insurance company.
basinrafter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009   #3

Aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
I was recently talking to a friend about this topic. It turns out I need a rider for 1: engagement ring 2: dirtbikes 3: any mtn bike worth anything 4: valuable firearms, and now my Cracked kayaks? What does home owner's insurance cover? Is a photo of ownership good enough or do you need receipts to put a value on property?
ZGjethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2009   #4

Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGjethro View Post
I was recently talking to a friend about this topic. It turns out I need a rider for 1: engagement ring 2: dirtbikes 3: any mtn bike worth anything 4: valuable firearms, and now my Cracked kayaks? What does home owner's insurance cover? Is a photo of ownership good enough or do you need receipts to put a value on property?
I just updated my homeowners ins. and also found the coverage on my toys wasn't worth a frick. I ended up adding riders for my boats, tools, guns, bikes and brewing equipment. The agent took an inventory and photos of the items covered by the riders. She also recomended we keep receipts and photos for any future major purchases tucked away in a fireproof safe or safe deposit box. I know each company has their own guidelines for these things, but I'm pretty sure receipts or photos should suffice should a claim arise.
slavetotheflyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009   #5

Aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by slavetotheflyrod View Post
I just updated my homeowners ins. and also found the coverage on my toys wasn't worth a frick. I ended up adding riders for my boats, tools, guns, bikes and brewing equipment. The agent took an inventory and photos of the items covered by the riders. She also recomended we keep receipts and photos for any future major purchases tucked away in a fireproof safe or safe deposit box. I know each company has their own guidelines for these things, but I'm pretty sure receipts or photos should suffice should a claim arise.
Thanks for the update. I kind of stupidly assumed my belongings were covered by homeowners insurance for the last 15 years until we recently went to insure an engagement ring. Then i learned about riders. What BS! You would think the value of your total claim in the event of a fire(worst case scenario) would cover all your belongings I never really read the fine print, who does? Thankfully I have never had to file a claim.
ZGjethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009   #6

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985
Idea

This is where I spend alot of my life. Not on homeowners, but in the insurance space. A guy once told me to walk through your house once a year with a video camera and just shoot everything witha running commentary on here are me skis, here are my guns, etc. Then save the tape somewhere offsite. This allows you to avoid the prove you owned it nightmare.