homebuilt frame - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-01-2009   #1

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2003
homebuilt frame

I was reading double rail topic and it seemed to start getting into home built frames so I thought I would put some of my pics and drawing and thoughts here. I didn't have but one person to draw from when I started building mine and he wasn't as forthright with information. Anyone got a specific question and I will try to answer it for them. I am in no way an expert except that I have actually built a frame and have lots of picks and drawings if it helps anyone else.
The Scout Bars (plate that run along each side of a double rail to walk on) I haven't completed yet but I was thinking about using stadium bleacher seat because they are aluminum, light, and have a structure to resist bending. The only real problem to adding them to a single rail is they are 1.5" thick and diamond plate is thinner but way more expensive. Link to bleacher. Aluminum Seating, Inc. - all aluminum plank for bleacher, bench, picnic table or MARKSTAAR - Aluminum Planks - Category Details

The Cat, Jacks Plastic Welding tubes 28 x 17.5
I got my tubing and fitting on eBay.
There is a removable front wheel but I think I will make it two swivel wheels. The belly bar above it is removable from the frame horizontal bar with two set screws. The rear has a belly bar/wheels that slides up and down and locks into place with two brass spring loaded pull pins for in water or in the garage. The wheels come in handy when I need to move it around the shop. The bar also has cross fittings that come apart so I can remove the bar/wheels, or remove only the top cross fitting and slide and pivot the wheels under the frame. These belly bars are for fishing not white water so please don't flame me, I take them off completely when going on a whitewater/float trip. I just wanted to show how versatile it is. I also think I'm going to take some of the bay bars and uprights off to lighten it a bit. I used 6061 aluminum tubing that specs 1.5" ID 1.5 IPS but is actually 1.9" OD to fit the Hollander speedrail fittings. Being modular is pretty nice. I can take the floorboards off except the oarsman's and strip it down for fast trips or load it up with gear for the long trips. I can also go to the lake a fish all by myself because of the wheels.

If I ever do it again I may opt for the 1.5 OD with the 1.25 IPS so the I might use the LowePro connectors from NRS for easy dismantling. Hollander makes the regular fitting for the 1.25 IPS or 1.5 IPS
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2008-05-25 Cataraft assembly day 005a.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	976   Click image for larger version

Name:	2008-05-25 Cataraft assembly day 041a.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	977  

Name:	Cat irgin 0141.JPG
Views:	241
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	978  
Attached Files
File Type: doc CAT FRAME 3.doc (78.5 KB, 77 views)

spankey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2009   #2

Hi,

I think this is a great concept. I've basically done the same thing for my 20'/30" Jacks tubes, using 1.25" schedule 40 aluminum and NRS fittings. I tend to think the NRS fitting is a bit stronger in this kind of application than the Hoellander-type fittings.

However, because my original 12' frame was flexing in big water, I cut it in half, so there are two 6' sections, with a 24" trailer frame in between. This gives me 14' of frame, plus 18" bow and stern sections I can add, which have angled bow plates for deflecting waves.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
gulchradio.com
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009   #3

Albuquerque, New Mexico
yep

I wish I had found this forum sooner. I am sure the 1.25 is much lighter than the 1.5 that I used. I am about 400 lbs so I need all the support I can get, thats also why each of my cross bars have an upright and each seat is suspended by two bars of a bay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2009   #4

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
thanks for the post - it is great to see what other people are doing.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009   #5

Albuquerque, New Mexico
How about everyones oics of their home made frames?

Hey RichP you got some pics? and how about any other people that have pics of their home built frames and maybe a small description ie. pipe size, brand of fitting and any special stuff or special design that works out well for yall.
Spankey
Albuquerque
Old 02-02-2009   #6

Hi,

If I've done this right, these should show not only the two main frame components, but also the bow attachment with angled plate that acts as a wave deflector in big water.

And yes, that's a gangplank in the one picture. Big tubes. Bad knees. Muddy shores. High cutbanks. Serve up any or all of them to an old geezer like me, and a gangplank is the only way to go for loading and unloading. Got the idea from a guy running a snout down Westwater a few years ago. That's the takeout at Hite last fall coming off my solo WW-Hite trip, and it would have been unloading in 8 feet of muddy slop if I hadn't had the gangplank and that old pallet someone had left there.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010030.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	890.1 KB
ID:	980   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010031.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	830.4 KB
ID:	981  

Name:	P1010035.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	928.9 KB
ID:	982   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010126.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	798.4 KB
ID:	983  

Old 02-02-2009   #7

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Gangplank rocks!

Hey Rich-

That's awesome! As long as you have a good place to stow it on the boat.

But what I'm wondering, is how do you pack the pallet down the river?
Old 02-02-2009   #8

at my house, Montana
gear forum

Hey spankey - did you know there is a sub-section of the Buzz with a dedicated gear forum? On the left, you have to go to forum listings. When I first joined, I think I missed out on some good discussions over there since I didn't realize it existed. Enjoy!
Old 02-02-2009   #9

Hi Laura,

The gangplank is 7' long, and straps across the bow with a couple of 1" NRS straps. The pallet -- well, sometimes you just luck out.

But if you aren't ashamed of looking like an old fuddy-duddy, the gangplank makes a lot of sense. I've got bad knees, so every big step up or down is a chore. But for anyone, carrying rocket boxes, water jugs, dry bags, etc. from your boat up a cutbank or down to a rocky beach is a lot easier. It sure saves on the knees, ankles, and back when you're moving a camp off and on a boat.

But there's more. It'll work off the bow, or off the side of a boat. If you have to land on a muddy flat, it can serve as a weigh-spreading platform to get to solid ground. Put it up on a couple of rocket boxes and elevate your dishwashing operation. On the Grand a couple of years ago, we used it as a lever to push the boats back down the beach after we forgot to tend to the tides overnight.

Call me crazy. Call me lazy. But labor-saving is the way to go when you get to my stage in life.

Have a good one.

Rich Phillips
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010080.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	783.0 KB
ID:	984   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010088.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	641.9 KB
ID:	985  

Old 02-02-2009   #10

at my house, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by richp View Post
But if you aren't ashamed of looking like an old fuddy-duddy, the gangplank makes a lot of sense. I've got bad knees, so every big step up or down is a chore.

Call me crazy. Call me lazy. But labor-saving is the way to go when you get to my stage in life.

Have a good one.

Rich Phillips
As a fellow boater with pretty trashed knees, I think it is great! And in my opinion, the more dork-ified, the better. Maybe it's the engineer in me, but whatever it takes, do it. I am even transitioning away from rocket boxes so much, just too heavy for hefting (also painful back), for trips on my little 14' boat, it will help me keep the weight down in the stern also. But, my replacement is vittle vaults, which are a bit bigger in volume, so they'll probably end up as heavy anyways. A bit harder to secure, but I'm working on making harnesses for them.