holback river near Jackson Hole? beta - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-30-2008   #1

most weekends up on the payettes, Idaho
Paddling Since: 83
holback river near Jackson Hole? beta

We are heading over near Jackson over the 4th. the alpine section of the snake is running at 20k and may be a bit much for some of our weaker paddlers. anybody run the holback river or above. Heard it would better suit class III- boater with 50/50 roll. any beta?

Sidnye is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2008   #2

Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
river description below: (from Rendezvous)

Rendezvous River Sports : Online Kayak Guide - Rendezvous River Sports

i think it would be a great river for your groups ability. As long as one kayaker was a solid III paddler (to collect gear). No major rapids...just a few sections with waves and such.
ENDOMADNESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008   #3

endo madness

Have you run this section? or the one above?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2008   #4

Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
I have never run the Hoback (jsut drive by it many a time)...its seemed a little mellow for me (not that i'm something special)

I have run the Gros Ventre many times. I don't think your group wants any piece of that (especially at these flows) it will be a solid IV. It is an awesome beuatiful tight little river (creeky feel) much like waterton, a tight upper blue or a full gore creek.

I have done the greys also. Your group maybe able to check out some of the upper reaches of the greys which would be II+. Be sure not to run the lower greys section.

There is not much consequence on the Snake other than Lunch Counter (which you could portage)...it is an extremely wide river with plenty of options throughout the other easier rapids.
ENDOMADNESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008   #5

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Avoid three oar ordeal in alpine canyon.
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008   #6

thanks endomadness, for the info.

I'm taking newbies and relatives from the flatlands (the flatlanders will be in duckies) and I want to keep the carnage and lost gear to a minimum. They have all duckied and kayaked the alpine section at normal summer flow but they tend to let go of their shit when they swim.

I'll see how they do on the holback and maybe hit the alpine.

thanks again.
Old 06-30-2008   #7

West By God, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1999
The Hoback is probably suitable for your group. I ran it four days ago and it was a blast. Low stress but fun. For added action, put in about a mile up Granite Creek (at the confluence with Little Granite Creek) and float down to the confluence with the Hoback. The most challenging rapid is about a mile downstream of Granite Creek, look for a sharp bend to the left followed shortly thereafter by a sharp bend to the right. Also, much further downstream (after you go under 3-4 non-highway bridges (you'll go under many highway bridges) is a rather large hydraulic that is nearly river wide. Run left. You can take out at the bridge in Hoback Junction (just before the confluence with the Snake) or you can continue two miles further on the Snake and take out at Astoria. Have fun!
Paddle Iraq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008   #8

Seward, Alaska
Paddling Since: 1998
sid...

definately a thumbs up for the Hoback... I used to work in Jackson years ago and ran that river frequently... there is good camping near the put-in up the Granite creek drainage (USFS)...scenic, and relatively quiet... the advantage to that is yo homies can run the river multiple times over a couple days and get some experience under their belt... then maybe move on to more challenging features... like Kings wave and Lunch counter!
jockomontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008   #9

niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidnye View Post
We are heading over near Jackson over the 4th. the alpine section of the snake is running at 20k and may be a bit much for some of our weaker paddlers. anybody run the holback river or above. Heard it would better suit class III- boater with 50/50 roll. any beta?
The Hoback river is often choked with downed trees in many sections. In that respect, you might even find that the Alpine section even at the large flow might be safer. Just something to keep in mind. You may be better off running the sections just above Alpine canyon. Access is a breeze and you could really access your crews talent safely. You may also want to have a look at the history for kayaker accidents on the Hoback and or find a local who has recently run it. Without the strainers, it's definitely class 2 and 3, but the down trees are not routinely cleared by the locals.
boat safe
wayne
wayniac is offline   Reply With Quote