Hog-nosed boat performance? - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-17-2008   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Hog-nosed boat performance?

Pitoned the creekboat this past week and got a big ole hog-nose on the tip of the bow. Tried pouring boiling water in it and pushing it out, tried heating it with a hair dryer and pushing it out. Not much luck. Managed to reduce the size from about 6" diameter to 3" diameter. I had to take all the guts out of the boat to do this, and then put it all back in to go boating again after my lack of success (note: a 1ft tall midget would be great to have for boat repairs). Pig nose is several inches down from the nose of the boat, not on the point, and the dimple is on the left side. Its above the normal waterline of the boat.

Any thoughts on performance or integrity implications if left there? Teetering between just leaving it and calling it good vs. going to the extra effort to pull it apart again and fashion a lever tool to get the right angle of push to pop it out.

deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2008   #2
sports enthusiast

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
Send a message via AIM to sgb3000
What if you just filled it in with bondo and fashioned a ram cap over it. That way, the weakened plastic would be protected. Not sure what boat you have, but perhaps a modified version of an Embudo ram cap could work.
sgb3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008   #3

Golden, Colorado
Same thing just happened to my creek boat when it soloed part of SSV. Mine was so severe that I knew it would affect performance because it created a huge scoop on the front of my boat about 10" deep.

After filling the nose with boiling water and using a heat gun for 2 hours I finally got it to be a large dimple an inch or two deep and I'm happy with that. My guess is that, with the turbulence of creeking and my desperate style, I am not going to notice any difference from the dimple.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2008   #4

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
CW just melted the front of his boat trying to heat gun a pugnose out of his Jefe. Then he cracked the 'repaired' bow this weekend on the Source. Given the likelihood that super-heated plastic weakens the repaired area pretty badly (apparently), I don't think I would personally go too far in trying to pop it out.

I think creek boat manufacturers should offer a ram cap either with the boat or as an add-on. It may add some weight, but I think that it especially makes sense in colorado. There's probably a way to make a ram cap froma mold with some sort of material, be it scraps of an old linear plastic boat, or maybe a flexible epoxy.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008   #5

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
anybody know if it would be possible to melt down an old boat and make nose cones?
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008   #6

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
I had a brain sprinkle- How about 20 coats of roofing cement? That might do the trick.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008   #7

Denver, Colorado
Ram cap is a good idea. Unfortunately my dimple is further down the hull than the "point" point of the boat, so my ram cap would be damn near a new hull liner.

I guess I'm with Ture and el Flaco, got it close enough, and I'll call it good. Don't want to F it up more in the process of fixing it.
Old 06-17-2008   #8

Golden, Colorado
I'm wondering if my heat-treated nose will crack on first impact. We'll see. It was so bad before that the boat was practically dead anyways.

As for a rubber cap: I've heard people complain about those grabbing onto rocks. Instead of sliding off rocks easily, they grab a little bit like a pencil eraser would.

I had one on my old embudo but I never noticed it grabbing. It did, however, get violently ripped off during a swim and left some empty rivet holes behind. I doubt nose caps would prevent the kind of hog nose I always get: the kind when a boat full of water goes off a drop.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008   #9

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I'd stick to boiling water as a heat source. Ian if its far enough down from the bow, could you cut a 2x4 to the right length and wedge it in there to push it out? Belt sand the corners and edged off the 2x4 to prevent big gouging.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008   #10

Denver, Colorado
2X4 is a good idea Dave. Since its not on the tip, its hard to get a push down on the hull. You would really want to push in the direction from the top deck to the bottom deck. I had though of rigging up some sort of lever to get a push down, but wedging something in to bridge the gap might be easier.

As for the boiling water, I used the biggest pot I had, and its a bit scary carrying around 50+ lbs of boiling water. High consequence boat repairs!