hmm...Where to live... - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-10-2006   #1

Denver, Colorado
hmm...Where to live...

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if it is ok to live in Stapleton. It looks a little strip-mally but the housing looks good. How long does it take, on average, to get into the city(Denver proper)? Ya know, during rush hour or during off peak times? And, how far away is it from Gloden or some good IV-V creekin'? What about the mountain-how far away is it from, say, Loveland? I would really like to hear some thoughts. Thanks!

-Josh

joshfromdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2006   #2

construction
Hey Josh
I use to live near there in park hill and the area was suppose to be new affordable housing for Denver. It would take me about 10 mins. to get to downtown during nonpeak and add about 5 mins during rush. Loveland was just about an hour and golden to the park was about 15 mins. You have Conflunence kayak park in downtown near REI, make sure your immune system is strong, it's a little dirty. It's better than Aurora Your so close to I-70, anywhere is pretty accessable. I perfer lakewood, green mountain, but that's my preface.

Castles made of sand, slip into the sea, eventually!
MPEARSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006   #3

Metro Area, Colorado
Stapleton has advantages and disadvantages. Travel times are manageable only because it is so close to I-70. Downtown is 10 minutes w/ no traffic, but you can tack on 5-20 minutes additional during rush hour. Since Golden is right off I-70 it is your closest paddle destination (w/ the exception of Confluence which unless you want leeches to make a new home in your ears isn't worth it), but once again travel time depends on traffic. 15 minutes when you are speeding. If traffic is present it could take you 45 minutes. Stapleton is pretty far east so if you are going to be spending a lot of time west in the foothills/mountains you will find it to be a little of a pain. Advantage is the area is really up and coming. It used to be a complete shithole, but the developers have come in and really tried to give the area a new face. Since the development project isn't complete your home price should go up the next few years. But no matter how you view it, it is still Stapleton, and in my opinion, there are nicer places to live in the Metro area. Where ever you end up...Welcome to Denver!
cecil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2006   #4

Indian Hills, Colorado
You might look at areas served by the new light rail running more or less parallel to I-25 South of Denver. That would take care of the commute to Downtown. Green mountain is a great area, close to the upper South Platte and Clear Creek. Have you lived in Denver through a summer? Once you see the great smog cloud, you might be tempted to live at a slightly higher elevation.
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006   #5

Indian Hills, Colorado
You might look at areas served by the new light rail running more or less parallel to I-25 South of Denver. That would take care of the commute to Downtown. Green mountain is a great area, close to the upper South Platte and Clear Creek. Have you lived in Denver through a summer? Once you see the great smog cloud, you might be tempted to live at a slightly higher elevation.
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006   #6

Josh,
WELCOME,even though your on the east side of the city away from the mountains your proximity to the highway can be an advantage.Ilive about 10 minutes south of Stapleton,getting to the highway in traffic is time consuming and stessful,if your from WASH/BALT it may not seem that bad to you.Downtown is actually pretty close,you should be able to get to Golden in under a half hour, i-270 is 5 minutes north and once on it it is 1/2 hour to Boulder,and Lyons is about 20 minutes further, add in Union and thats 5 playparks within an hour!Using I-70 and c-470 as a sort of belt way gets you to 285 and points south quicker than from most of east metro area.The front range has lots of 4 - 5 creeks all within 2 hrs. of the city and the western slope starts 1 1/2 hrs up I-70
As far as life at Stapleton I dunno',it's fairly new,but Lowry , avery similar developement 5-10 min. south seems really nice. The area around Stapleton is pretty industrial used to be predominately black nieghborhood but is increasingly Hispanic and yuppy.
cayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006   #7

Denver, Colorado
Thanks for all the input! We'll figure it out. See you on the river.
joshfromdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006   #8

If you are looking for a new area, I would go for Lowry over Stapleton. Lowry has more of a small community where you can actually walk around. Stapleton gets really crowded with the I-70 traffic, and Quebec St narrows to two lanes just south of the development adds to the congestion. Tons of shops and all, but a little busy to live there in my opinion.

If you aren't eyeing a new devlopment or suburbs, check out the area north east of Downtown. It's changing fast from a sketchy area to new development, and you can still get houses for under 200k.

I live directly north of City Park, one block south of Martin Luther King. It's a good neighborhood.
Old 03-11-2006   #9

Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Not even leaches can live in confluence...but beware those yuppy hispanics.
Old 03-11-2006   #10

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
There's a good longterm play in homes in Sunnyside. It's northwest of I25 /downtown, but pretty close nonetheless- about 10 minutes to downtown with no traffic to speak of becaue you can take 38th, 20th or 15th into Lodo. There's a lightrail station planned for sometime in the next 5 years, which will increase property values. Definitely an older neighborhood with a lot of diversity, and one of the last places where you buy a decent sized house with a yard and a garage for less than $200K. It's also a great location for hopping onto 170 to Golden (12 min); quick to Boulder too. I'm in Berkley (just west on the other side of Federal) and the prices have already risen here. Sunnyside will be next to appreciate. Worth a look, depending on your price range.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote