Hiking out of Grand Canyon at Havasu - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-23-2008   #1

Denver, Colorado
Hiking out of Grand Canyon at Havasu

I want to hike out of the Grand Canyon next month at Havasu Canyon, through the village of Supai and the Hualapi/Havasupai Indian Reservation. As a lot of you all know there was a big flood there in August and they are saying that the village of Supai and Havasu Falls area are closed to tourists until next spring. What do yall think about hiking through the reservation from the river to the trailhead at Hualapi Hilltop, even though the village, campground and falls area are closed. What are they gonna do, tell me to hike back to the river with no way to get out?

bwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2008   #2

Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Depending on the damage, you may not be able to get around 200 ft. Mooney Falls and the Indians can do anything they want including telling you to go back to the river or maybe levy a big fine. But I have no idea.
Let us know how it goes.
rwhyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008   #3

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
The website states that trails and bridges are washed out. Wonder if it is even possible. Considering it's $80 just to visit under normal circumstances, I'd guess there'd be a pretty hefty fine from the Havasupai Tribe. Personally, I'd say it's pretty disrespectful. It's their land. They are asking for time to rebuild and looking out for your safety.

I'm launching in a week... pretty bummed that I won't be able to visit this spectacular place. I'm taking a positive spin and considering it a reason to go back again soon.

Laurie
lmaciag is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2008   #4

Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmaciag View Post
The website states that trails and bridges are washed out. Wonder if it is even possible. Considering it's $80 just to visit under normal circumstances, I'd guess there'd be a pretty hefty fine from the Havasupai Tribe. Personally, I'd say it's pretty disrespectful. It's their land. They are asking for time to rebuild and looking out for your safety.

I'm launching in a week... pretty bummed that I won't be able to visit this spectacular place. I'm taking a positive spin and considering it a reason to go back again soon.

Laurie
When we were there about a month ago, we hiked a short way up the canyon. The water was kind of milky looking, but it was still an enjoyable stop.
rwhyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008   #5

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Quote:

Laurie
We were still hiking up after the flood. Not all the way to the village or anything, but you can still stop. The bottom 4 or so miles are in the National Park boundaries.
CanyonEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008   #6

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
If you haven't made the hike before you should know that it is an adventurous trail - like using ropes to help scale rock faces - there were ropes between Beaver Falls and Mooney and metal chains at Mooney before the flood - don't know now. If you are a proficient rock climber you may find a way - or you may find the risk level too high and yourself too isolated to take a risk. From the river to Mooney falls is the best part of 7 miles each way - and it is a total of about 17 miles to the rim one way. Then again the chains and the tunnels (there are two short tunnels) at Mooney may be just fine - they are a fair distance from the pre-flood location of the river - but without knowing that I could get past Mooney I would be cautious. Will your crew wait at the bottom of Havasu to make sure you make it out? What is your plan B?

I would call the tribe and ask them what the condition of the trail is, and for their permission.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008   #7

Boulder, Colorado
Quote:

Laurie
We hiked as far as Beaver Falls last month. There is some obvious debris but the trail that far is fine. Milky blue still but crazy beautiful.

Have a great trip!
yojimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008   #8

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Why would you want to hike out there anyway? If you absolutely had to bail on the trip a few days early, you could hike out at Toroweap (Lava Falls). Its a long drive to get there, but its legal, open year round and would be a considerably shorter hike than Havasu.
benpetri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008   #9

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Sounds like things might be okay, check out this article:

Grand Canyon tribe working on flood-recovery plan - Yahoo! News

Sadly according to the article Havasupi creek has changed it's course above Navajo Falls and there is no longer water flowing over that waterfall. The article also mentions damage to the campsite and a bridge, but doesn't mention changes at Mooney or at Havasu falls. Also check out the Flood damage assessment here:

http://www.havasupai-nsn.gov/ExecutiveSummary.pdf

Again no mention of anything that should block a dedicated hiker - but there are a few bridges out and some trail damage. The report also doesn't make mention of a assessment of the trail below Mooney Falls. FWIF.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote