Hi-N-Dry Paddle Shaft Float Invention - Mountain Buzz

Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2012   #1

Akron, Ohio
Paddling Since: 2009
Hi-N-Dry Paddle Shaft Float Invention

I came up with an invention last year in order to make my dad capable of doing whitewater with me in a kayak without knowing how to roll. With this device, rolling became a piece of cake for him and it also improved my roll tremendously. Neither one of us have wet-exited since using it and we've done up to class 4 with it. That says something considering my dad has never kayaked before and can't roll without it. We are excited about it and think it can help a lot of people out.

Check out the product website to see a video demonstration of the Hi-N-Dry in action!
http://www.shaftfloat.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2012   #2

Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 96
Brilliant
Old 04-17-2012   #3

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Seems like a great idea for beginners. I actually wonder if it would work for more advance paddlers as well. Does it ever get in the way of paddling? Seems like it could limit vision as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2012   #4

SYOTR, Tennessee
This should get interesting...
Old 04-17-2012   #5

hutchinson, Kansas
Paddling Since: 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claytonious
Seems like a great idea for beginners. I actually wonder if it would work for more advance paddlers as well. Does it ever get in the way of paddling? Seems like it could limit vision as well.
My guess gonna make for a bunch of lazy paddlers then get someone killed for overconfidence
Old 04-17-2012   #6

Arvada, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
lots of plus's, but if you went over with only one hand on it or, or loss your grip you couldnt pull your paddle under and roll.
Old 04-18-2012   #7

If you or your dad doesn't have a solid roll without the paddle float and your running class IV, keep your health insurance up to date because someone is going to get hurt.
Old 04-18-2012   #8

Copper Mountain, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Appears that it doesn't just teach you how to roll, but how to expose your whole upper body while doing it.
Old 04-18-2012   #9

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I am always stoked to see somebody come up with a new idea. It may or may not work. It might be dangerous, or annoying, or useless. Or it might change the way people kayak. I would be willing to try it just for shits and giggles.

Anybody who has ever invented anything usefull has first come up with a lot of ideas that don't work.
Old 04-18-2012   #10

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
I like the outside-the-box thinking.

I'd shy away from a "Class IV" river, but there's a huge difference between that and a single Class IV rapid in the middle of an otherwise II-III run, especially if it isn't holey and has a good pool below it.

I do agree it could lead to some bad habits, so it wouldn't be a bad idea to make sure an inexperienced paddler is coached by an experienced paddler to make sure that good technique is emphasized.

If it gets more people on the rivers instead of home watching TV? Good for them.
Hey, it's a free country!
Closed Thread