Hi-N-Dry Paddle Shaft Float Invention - Page 8 - Mountain Buzz

Closed Thread

Old 04-29-2013   #71

Front Range, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Sporting this shaft wrap is kinda like go proing at Breck. Pretty cool if your from Indiana.

However, I do agree with Dave Frank, this will likely replace bootie beers and swimmer shirts.

Come out west this summer so you can use her on some class V...I'd gladly document the journey.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2013   #72

Charleston, West Virginny
Paddling Since: 1996
LOL, I just found a thread about this in the WVWA forums, getting pretty much the same responses. Apparently he has been spotted on the Gauley?

from the forum:

"We carried this guy out of the Lower Gauley in a raft. He had made it down to diagonal ledges. He had flipped every rapid but managed to stay in his boat. He was exhausted and scared. We may have saved his life.
They were planning to try the Upper Gauley the next day but several in our group talked them out of it."
Old 01-29-2014   #73

Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
The shitshow continues with the paddle shaft crap: Boat Pinning Carnage Lower Yough River - YouTube
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2014   #74

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I can't believe this thread and this product are still alive. Is it a farce? I'm starting to think so...

Old 01-29-2014   #75

Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I wish it was, he has like 45 videos of him and his dad creating a show all over the East Coast.
Old 01-29-2014   #76

Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Sadly this will eventually result in severe injury of someone, possibly even a fatality.

Crutches are no substitution for proper education/training/ practice.
Old 02-19-2019   #77

Akron, Ohio
Paddling Since: 2009
Nantahala Cascades Highlights

West Fork of Tuckaseegee Highlights

My dad and I are still going strong and still loving using our Hi-N-Dry Rolling Aids! I'm now starting to step up into class 5 territory which is exciting! These two videos are short and with music which is something different I'm trying occasionally.
Old 02-21-2019   #78

Steamboat, Colorado
I have a question, and please understand that I'm really not trying to be rude or crack jokes at you.
This thread was started 7 years ago. Are you and your dad still unable to roll without your paddle floatation device?
I don't have a strong roll after 6 years of paddling, but I also haven't been using training wheels, so to speak, nor have I really put quality time and energy into solidifying my roll, but I also don't run shit like the Cascades. I can, however, run 3+ fairly confidently, and last year I only had one swim out of a lot of days in the river... And even that came from just goofing around trying some stupid shit.
Anyway, my point is, there are other ways not to swim (like bracing and choosing decent lines). There are ways to challenge yourself on the river without running sections that are too dangerous for your level of skill.
I personally don't like shitting bricks the entire time I'm on a river.
I'm genuinely just curious to know if you still haven't developed a strong roll without the float, after using it for the last 7 years.
Old 02-21-2019   #79

Akron, Ohio
Paddling Since: 2009
@soggy tortillas - Neither my dad nor I have any intention of ever taking the Hi-N-Dry off and consider it to be a part of our paddle. So asking if we have a roll for us means asking if we have a roll while using it on our paddle and the answer to that is a resounding yes. Whether we can roll with it off of our paddle is irrelevant because we always have it on. I don't think either of us has ever even attempted a roll in 7 years with it not on our paddle so I don't really know or have any interest in finding out. We are not using it as a training aid but as a permanent accessory like a helmet and pfd. To answer, "well what if you lost your paddle?" I'd say to that we could use a breakdown paddle and a inflatable hi-n-dry kept in the cockpit as a backup.

As far as river selection, I had been doing class IV+ rivers and feeling very comfortable on them with dry hair days and that is why I tried my first class V which was roadside and had a hundred people with swift-water rescue training watching from the road. I felt I had worked my way up to it and was ready for it. I scouted it thoroughly and saw no sieves or strainers or downed trees. I made the decision that I felt ready and remain confident that I was ready. I will continue to run class IV-V rivers here and there while also running majority III-IV and IV+.
Old 02-25-2019   #80
addict

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary D View Post
@soggy tortillas - Neither my dad nor I have any intention of ever taking the Hi-N-Dry off and consider it to be a part of our paddle. So asking if we have a roll for us means asking if we have a roll while using it on our paddle and the answer to that is a resounding yes. Whether we can roll with it off of our paddle is irrelevant because we always have it on. I don't think either of us has ever even attempted a roll in 7 years with it not on our paddle so I don't really know or have any interest in finding out. We are not using it as a training aid but as a permanent accessory like a helmet and pfd. To answer, "well what if you lost your paddle?" I'd say to that we could use a breakdown paddle and a inflatable hi-n-dry kept in the cockpit as a backup.

As far as river selection, I had been doing class IV+ rivers and feeling very comfortable on them with dry hair days and that is why I tried my first class V which was roadside and had a hundred people with swift-water rescue training watching from the road. I felt I had worked my way up to it and was ready for it. I scouted it thoroughly and saw no sieves or strainers or downed trees. I made the decision that I felt ready and remain confident that I was ready. I will continue to run class IV-V rivers here and there while also running majority III-IV and IV+.
You're soft. Give up.
Closed Thread