yeah fucking right. get lost.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2012   #52
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
A couple of bits of advice for the outdoor equipment startup:

1. Find a place to base your business. You won't have legitimacy in the eyes of the consumer having a company making paddle-sports gear in Griffith Indiana. You don't have to move, but need to find a way to headquarter somewhere where paddlers live and play.

2. Find a buyer. You make a single product - wholesale is your best bet. If this thing was featured on NRS front page it would blow up.

3. Keep after the R and D. It might be a stupid product, but there are lots of stupid products on the market. Refine it and redesign it. Keep calling the retailers and find a production process that makes you money at wholesale.

Good luck. Innovation is important - but so is image. Right now it looks like a product for old men in Indiana, not a learning tool for kayak classes. Change that image!
Old 11-06-2012   #53
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Oh, and watch what you say about "works great in Class IV" etc. Rapids and whitewater are as varied as the rest of the natural world and this kind of speak makes you seem like an uninformed gaper. You need to talk to a seasoned paddler and get the lingo down. I'm sure this thing would work great in the pool at the base of a Class IV rapid - if it has a pool. However, some difficult whitewater is continuous and SHALLOW. Some of it is steep and deep. Products are generally either for whitewater or not, not rated like rapids are. For example, recent videos on the internets have proven inner tubes to work for running Class V, inflatable couches for Class IV+, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012   #54

near Chattanooga, Tennessee
I like that if you do the trial 30 days $1 and decide to keep it than you pay $49.50 x3, but if you pay in full right now you pay $99. Funny.

However it is now on my Amazon Wish List.
Old 11-27-2012   #55

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Just to keep the debate going, there is a good thread on BT right now cause of this video with People using the paddle shafts (I think the owners, maybe Gary D):

Start watching at 12:45 and then again at 20:45, pretty interesting to see them running harder whitewater that without the float seems like it would have been a rough day.

I like the idea of training tools and think this could have its place on flatwater and with an instructor to get comfortable. But using it as a crutch to run harder whitewater seems to be an accident waiting to happen.

My god we need snow...
Old 11-27-2012   #56

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakfreakus View Post
Start watching at 12:45 and then again at 20:45, pretty interesting to see them running harder whitewater that without the float seems like it would have been a rough day.
That person seems to have really crappy edge control and not very aggressive strokes. From the video, I think they'd look like a metronome going down the river.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakfreakus View Post
I like the idea of training tools and think this could have its place on flatwater and with an instructor to get comfortable. But using it as a crutch to run harder whitewater seems to be an accident waiting to happen.
I am impresed that it got the paddler down the river, and you're right, it could have been a very rough day without it. Might be good to stuff under the back deck and blow up a float bag around it. If someone's having a shitty day and the takeout is still 8 miles downriver, pull it out and give them the crutch to complete the run.
Old 11-27-2012   #57

Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Frank View Post
I feel the bootie beer will be replaced by the shame of having to wear this until the next member of your group swims and takes their turn.
NICE Dave...You must also sign it with permanent black marker to let all know you sported it!
Old 11-27-2012   #58

Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
Now if it had an air reservoir so you can breathe because you havent perfected your roll
I run the air valve from my float bags up through my PFD right to my mouth so when I flip I have plenty of air until someone T-rescues me...isn't that what they're for?

Old 11-27-2012   #59

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Seems like all this would do is teach bad habits, like learning to roll by bracing off the bottom. Rolling aside, it looks like the paddler in this video needs to learn an actually effective brace. It's all well and good for people of all skill levels to push their comfort envelope, that's how one progresses, but there is something to be said for actually putting in the time required to be ready for that next progression, i.e.: bracing. On the upside, maybe the "device" comes equipped with the great "Southern Accent" and that's how it will help to impress your friends.

Old 11-27-2012   #60

Roaring Fork Valley, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Aw dang a full-length feature film like those crazy Bomb Flow kids make! Can't wait to crack a cold one and watch this minute for minute!
Closed Thread