Hi-N-Dry Paddle Shaft Float Invention - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Closed Thread

Old 04-18-2012   #11

Indian Hills, Colorado
What comedy that all of you pansy-ass desk jockeys are dissing this guy's invention. The dude has his dad kayaking. See the smile on his face, that's what kayaking does. Your dad hasn't smiled like that since you left the house.

Say something productive or sit on your hands.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2012   #12

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Hey can you modify your idea to make a counterbalanced oar float that goes between the oarlock and the oar handle? I'm assuming you have access to large diameter closed cell foam

Anybody whose had a counterbalanced oar sink would be appreciative
Old 04-18-2012   #13
SarahofTheWaves

FoCo,NoCo, Colorado
Kinda cool. It opens up rivers for some hesitant people. Wonder how it works with sea kayaks...

Seems a little too high profile. Wind and waves would catch the surface too easily.

Also might be helpful to develop a graduated shaft float so the paddler can be weened from the device and develop proper form. Just enough foam that you could get your head to the surface, but would need to keep your head down to right yourself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2012   #14

Columbus, Indiana
I feel like this would be nice for when I take friends who don't have a roll down non-dangerous class 2 and 3.

However.....For that price, I'll buy my own foam and duct tape it to a paddle.

I like the outside the box thinking. If I were you, I'd try to sell the invention to NRS or someone before they just steal the idea (pattent or not, a big company can take an invention and bury you with law suits if they really want). Plus, I'm not sure if it'll end up catching on unless backed by a big name brand.
Old 04-18-2012   #15

Northern Utah, Utah
Paddling Since: 1990
Interesting idea. I've taped foam onto the paddle blade to help my kids learn to roll (ie cheap paddle float). I've also taped foam onto the shaft to keep a paddle from sinking (Seven2) but I've never thought of using foam on the shaft as a roll aid.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-18-2012   #16

Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahkonamojo
Kinda cool. It opens up rivers for some hesitant people. Wonder how it works with sea kayaks...

Seems a little too high profile. Wind and waves would catch the surface too easily.

Also might be helpful to develop a graduated shaft float so the paddler can be weened from the device and develop proper form. Just enough foam that you could get your head to the surface, but would need to keep your head down to right yourself.
Just systematic hack off a chunk a week
Old 04-20-2012   #17

Akron, Ohio
Paddling Since: 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claytonious View Post
Does it ever get in the way of paddling? Seems like it could limit vision as well.
Shaftfloat.com/q-a.html now addresses these questions.

Quote:
My guess gonna make for a bunch of lazy paddlers then get someone killed for overconfidence
We encourage learning proper form with or without use of a Hi-N-Dry. We also encourage caution and provide advice concerning river progression to avoid cases of overconfidence clouding judgement. shaftfloat.com/river-progression.html

Quote:
but if you went over with only one hand on it or, or loss your grip you couldnt pull your paddle under and roll.
We advice everyone to keep both hands on the paddle with or without a Hi-N-Dry and inverting a kayak with only one hand on the paddle is a bad idea for any kayaker. I've personally accidentally lost my grip and went over and then pulled the paddle under and rolled. The current plays a factor in this as it would with or without the Hi-N-Dry. The buoyancy is only 30ish lb and so pulling it under water to get both hands on it isn't a hurculean event. Until you have tried it, don't be so sure to say "you cannot this or will not be able to that"

Quote:
If you or your dad doesn't have a solid roll without the paddle float and your running class IV, keep your health insurance up to date because someone is going to get hurt.
We recommend that no beginner attempt class 4 and that beginners see shaftfloat.com/river-progression.html for more info on selecting rivers. All mention of our class 4 accidental experience has been removed from the website to ensure nobody gets the idea that we condone a beginner running class 4 under any circumstances.

Quote:
Appears that it doesn't just teach you how to roll, but how to expose your whole upper body while doing it.
In the video, I perform a back deck rodeo which is not a roll recommended for whitewater as it does expose one to rocks below the surface. We encourage use of proper form with or without the Hi-N-Dry. The Hi-N-Dry does not inherently encourage bad form. It can be used as a tool to help one learn proper form.

Quote:
Hey can you modify your idea to make a counterbalanced oar float that goes between the oarlock and the oar handle? I'm assuming you have access to large diameter closed cell foam.
Custom orders are welcome. Shoot an email with what you have in mind.

Quote:
We made a 6" diameter version as a prototype and it was insufficient in buoyancy for what we had in mind, however, it was exactly what you now describe and I'm willing to sell 6" diameter versions of the product. The 6" diam version has 17lb of buoyancy as opposed to the standard retail version with its 30lb of buoyancy.

Quote:
However.....For that price, I'll buy my own foam and duct tape it to a paddle.
Price has been reduced substantially since you posted this.
Old 04-20-2012   #18

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Brilliant! This will be great for newbies.

Home made version is a foam roller, kerfed in half and hollowed out then strapped back on.

I feel the bootie beer will be replaced by the shame of having to wear this until the next member of your group swims and takes their turn.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Old 04-22-2012   #19
swimming

Vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1990
Cool concept. I can certainly see how this could really help folks with the roll maneuver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
Hey can you modify your idea to make a counterbalanced oar float that goes between the oarlock and the oar handle? I'm assuming you have access to large diameter closed cell foam

Anybody whose had a counterbalanced oar sink would be appreciative
Hollow swim noodles work awesome for applications like this with just a little customization.
Old 04-22-2012   #20

Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Frank View Post
I feel the bootie beer will be replaced by the shame of having to wear this until the next member of your group swims and takes their turn.
Why replace when you can make the poor bastard do both?
Closed Thread