Hey Cody - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-11-2008   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Hey Cody

hey Cody,
saw you were on here,do you have any more beta on the God's Pocket section of Chevelon than is in Tyler's book?Logistics,trying to pinpoint put in, take out,where I can scout it from.Season,we are looking at mid to late Feb..
THANX

cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2008   #2

in the ditches, ......
Paddling Since: 1996
I'll make a call and find out more exact info for you guys. The timing may should be okay....usually the rule of thumb for that run is over 200. The access and take out is some what in the air (private) so i'll make a call or two and find out what the current situation is and whatnot. I'll PM you.

Cody
Old 01-11-2008   #3

Mad Scientist/Creeker
The God's Pocket section is really nice. From what I remember Chevlon should run if there is at least an average snowpack on the rim. The timing though will be tricky and hard to plan for. Mid to late Feb may be too early. Peak run-off for the rim is what you want. The put-in is not too sketchy but is private I believe (at least the one day put-in) and the take-out is def. private but you can get permission. One of, if not the best class III-IV slot canyons out there. If Cody can't get the directions I can dig them out of my notes and PM them to you.

Couple other things the photos reminded me of. Be prepared to route find and lower your boats a few hundred feet into the canyon and to scout a few horizons. Nothing too tricky but you are def. pretty trapped down there once you go in. Git sum.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0173.1.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	184.6 KB
ID:	276   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP2152.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	165.5 KB
ID:	277  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP2202.1.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	278  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2008   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
thanks Evan,
I would be interested in that info for the day run.What is the character of the drops? I thought I read somewhere it was a series of travertine ledges.Do you know of any park n huck or hike n huck low consequence type falls in Arizona,basically IV -V- waterfalls.
thanx
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008   #5

Cody/Evan -

Is the God's Pocket section the one with the ridiculous log-jam portages near the end? (just outside Winslow?) That run is definitely worthy, but those portages sucked.

I believe we ran it at 450 or so, but I wouldn't exactly call the run we did a III-IV cruiser. Not super gnar, but there were definitely 2-3 Vs, and a lot of unscoutable/unportageable IV. Maybe it seemed harder because we had no guide and it was puking snow.

If we're talking about different runs, then the God's Pocket section just got added to my list.

T
doublet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008   #6

in the ditches, ......
Paddling Since: 1996
ya....thats the run. and those log jams are crazy huh. those are in the lower section of the run...there is a way out before them (private land).

Cody