hey central utah boys and girls - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-10-2008   #1
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
hey central utah boys and girls

what is the current status of the snowpack abv Emery/Castle Dale/Ferron? not numbers, no graphs or charts....you know what it is just by lookin at it, so whats the scoop? is it holdin out, is the muddy going to run? how long will the san raf have water? cottonwood creek going to be good? curious for trying to plan a trip out there.....thanks a bunch!

Advertisement

Old 06-10-2008   #2
Ron

Monroe, Utah
Paddling Since: 1990
There's still snow, but

it'll depend on the weather. Haven't seen it stay this cold this long before. Got another cool front today and tomorrow. Then maybe something will start running. Not much help, huh?!
Old 06-10-2008   #3

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 02
Here you go

Emery Water Conservancy District
Check out the Tea Cup Diagrams under reservoirs. Left Fork huntington should run this weekend at the rate it is filling and there is still plenty of snow to do it. They also seem to be bumping the flows on Cottonwood this week. Fingers are crossed
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2008   #4
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
bump, thanks! mine are crossed as well.....
Old 06-10-2008   #5

Commercial Paleontology
Cottonwood Creek/Straight Canyon

Don't get too amped on Cottonwood running this year. I have been keeping tabs on this for a month now. Unfortunately it looked like it was going to be good to go this year... so a while back they bumped up the releases to the mid/high 200's cfs. But now they are wishing they didn't because all this warm/cool trend along with a lot of wind lately has been burning up the supply. They were hoping to release tomorrow the 10th but that has been bumped to the 15-17th if it happens at all. That info is direct from the rangers at the res. So we shall see over the next week how it pans out. If it looks like a definite go I will post.

MtnGuyXC
MtnGuyXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008   #6

Salt Lake City, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGuyXC View Post
Don't get too amped on Cottonwood running this year. I have been keeping tabs on this for a month now. Unfortunately it looked like it was going to be good to go this year... so a while back they bumped up the releases to the mid/high 200's cfs. But now they are wishing they didn't because all this warm/cool trend along with a lot of wind lately has been burning up the supply. They were hoping to release tomorrow the 10th but that has been bumped to the 15-17th if it happens at all. That info is direct from the rangers at the res. So we shall see over the next week how it pans out. If it looks like a definite go I will post.

MtnGuyXC
Your reply is interesting...it has not been above 200 but maybe a couple of days if that. Mid 200's never happened. Check your facts Jack. Not as stoked about JV, as i am about the LFH. Of what I've boated, LFH is the sickest little creek in UT. JV, not gonna "run" in the sense of above 200 yes you are correct. The rest of it has got a long spell. If you think the JV rangers care you are up in the night. It is all missmanaged farm water. Hell, they hope for a spill to save a little dish. They never hope to "release".
Once again I am bummed I shared "insider" knowledge on this forum.
Ignorance is bliss.
Old 06-10-2008   #7

Salt Lake City, Utah
Here is the link

Old 06-11-2008   #8

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 06
I knew something was definetly awry with the flows...

here is a better graph of where the early spring season snowpack runoff ranoff to...

Emery Water Conservancy District

I guess the good news is all of the res' are about full, ec Joe's. Perhaps our epic monsoon season will force late season runoff as well as our late peak of high altitude runoff...check out the stat's on peak runoff here...but keep in mind this is 100 years average meaning the peak of 600's was pre-reservoir and diversion dams. Don't think we will see those days again for some sneaking suspicion.

USGS Surface Water data for USA: USGS Daily Statistics
Old 06-11-2008   #9

Salt Lake City, Utah
Apologies to xc

Sorry, I misdirected my disdain for the UT waterkeepers in your direction. Sorry for the flamage.
Old 06-13-2008   #10

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 06
so I did some math on inflows to reservoirs...seems they are robbing 962cfs from the San Raf. to fill those puppies.

damn fuckers

looks to me like the only way we will see the san raf go is hella monsoons this year or one more stellar snow season right away...since the reservoirs are pretty much full, more water will make em spill.

SAN RAFAEL - GREEN RIVER, NR (SRFU1)

so that link above shows snowpack...not to much left in the basin, only about 5" or so on the upper guage. The forcast is not even close to accurate by the way...since the 100 year data is now skewed by dams.

I am ready to go on a whim if it runs so keep watchin! Hopefully it does within a week or 2 otherwise no black boxes!

-rg