Hero vs. SuperHero - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-21-2008   #1

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Hero vs. SuperHero

I'm looking for a new creek boat. I have a 4Fun and I like the idea that my creek boat (the Hero) would be very similar in paddling characteristics to my play boat that I mostly use. I test paddled the Hero today and really liked the boat, ferries well, surfs nicely and is pretty friendly in the low volume holes that I dropped into today. It just seems very slow and "spuddy" to me. Perhaps I am to close to the upper range for that boat at 195 lbs, but being 5'11" the boat fits me like a glove.
I'm wondering if the SuperHero would be noticeably faster in the water. Does it feel like a lot of boat to be paddling compared to the Hero? Has anyone compared them both?
Thanks
-Chris

kayapelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2008   #2

Student/Engineer
Loose some weight you fat bastard!! Stop! Put those chocolate chips and onion rings down and slowly step away! That should translate into a faster hero!

Just bustin your balls, yer old fart. Like every good middle eastern. I have nothing valuable to contribute!

Giddyup
-assad
Old 09-21-2008   #3

Teacher, Fort Collins, Colorado
I'm pretty close to your weight (a little heavier), and paddle a superhero as my creek boat. For creeking, a little more volume can't hurt--better than being too heavy for too small a boat. Don't expect it to handle just like your 4fun (I paddle a 4fun too) just because the hull is similar though--it will of course be a little slower to respond since it is bigger and heavier. My 2 cents...
Buckrodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2008   #4

Moscow, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1995
Having paddled both the Hero and Super Hero, I would also suggest going with the Super Hero. For reference, I am 150 #s and use the Hero for day trips and creeking. I use my Super Hero for overnighters and as my big water bomb shelter. I enjoy paddling both boats, but I paddled the Super more over the course of the season. It is really nice having a big stable boat on a river like the North Fork Payette.

At 195, I think you will sink the edges on the Hero too much, giving it that slow "spuddy" feel that you described. By contrast the Super will float you much higher and feel faster and more nimble, partly because of the extra length and partly because the ends will be higher out of the water. You might notice that the Super is a little less playful because of the big volume bow, but it still surfs great. Overall the boats paddle similarly (as you would expect) the Hero being more playful and the Super being a bit faster and more bouyant. It is a great design that works well on anything from creeks to huge water.

-Mark
Team JK
Old 09-22-2008   #5

Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
Chris, you definitely want the Superhero. I'm 180 and the Super is my boat. At our weight, the regular hero is a spud boat. The super is definitely not too big, especially if you're looking to run harder stretches.
Joe
Also Team JK
JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008   #6

longmont, Colorado
I'm also in the market for a new creek/river boat. I demo'd the Rocker on Gore at 1500 and had a "tough" time of it. Would I have been better off in the Super Hero (same weight as the other guys on this post)? The Rocker didn't respond to eddying out quickly and needing to edge and ferry above some big holes. I'm thinking it is more appropriate for steeper creeks than big water but I currently paddle an ol' Pyranha Micro (displacement hull, too) and it edges just fine for me. Maybe I'm just used to it over the years. How would you expect the Super Hero to function for a steep creeker? Without getting into the planing vs. displacment hull debates (if possible), what do you guys think? I'm sold on the Jackson outfitting as long as the boat doesn't break. Let 'er rip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCKeck1 View Post
Chris, you definitely want the Superhero. I'm 180 and the Super is my boat. At our weight, the regular hero is a spud boat. The super is definitely not too big, especially if you're looking to run harder stretches.
Joe
Also Team JK
buck123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008   #7

Moscow, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1995
The majority of my creeking experience in the Super Hero and Hero are on the Little White and Green Truss. Not exactly Colorado mank trickles, but busy creeks nonetheless. I've put a lot of days (50+) into my Super and it has held up really well.

In terms of paddling style, I tend to be more of a driver than a floater so the flat hull and edges on the Heroes really play to my strengths. I think that the edges also make eddy turns and peel outs feel more crisp than in a round bottom boat. Where the Rocker (or Micro) plows into eddies, the Heroes carve. Oddly, these boats are stupid forgiving even with the aggressive looking edge/hull. Coming from a Burn, I felt like I had a lot more stability (primary and secondary) in the Heroes. My guess is that a Super Hero would feel a lot more nimble and easier to correct than your Micro and would also have the extra benefit of better plastic and safer outfitting.

I used the Super Hero on Upper Cherry and did not notice the edges on the slides at all, which really suprised me given all the talk about how edgy planning hull boats are supposed to feel on that sort of thing. The Super really shined on that trip when it came to boofing and resurfacing under control (no backendering) even with four nights worth of gear in the back.

Mark, Team JK
Old 09-23-2008   #8

Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
Yeah, I'll say that I'm an expert at Colorado mank trickles. I generally paddle a Rocker. I would agree that the (Super)Hero would be a better boat with 1600+ in Gore, but I paddle 70+ days on SSV, OBJ, NSV, USB, etc... I can also be more of a floater/boofer than true driver, so the Rocker plays to my strengths - it's insanely forgiving. Huck it off something huge and the landing is soft, resurfaces well and has a collapsable for those times you misunderestimate (thanks GW). I find myself upside down about 80% less than my peers.
Joe
JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008   #9

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2006
SuperHero

I've had a SuperHero for about 2 months now and I can't say enough about how great this boat is. I'm 6ft and 210, so larger than you, but even at my size the boat floats me high in the water and is very nimble. I've had it mostly on Class IV stuff out here and on the Payette, but I have had it on some low water Class IV stuff recently and it handled like a dream. Though not performing like Fun (I have a SuperFun as well), the flatish hull really does allow the boat to carve as opposed to sliding into and out of eddies and the thing resurfaces off of drops like it is on autopilot. Plus, its length really allows you to get the boat into some pretty small spaces when you are boat scouting. Knowning some guys your size who have demoed both boats, I agree with the other comments that you would find the Hero to be a bit sluggish.

On top of all this, they have a grabloop handle on the front bulkhead that makes shouldering the boat a hole lot easier.

j
Old 09-23-2008   #10
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I demoed a Hero on the Big South & Bailey this year. I was suspicious about the dimensions, but surprised how much I liked it for those kinds of runs: Super sporty, stayed above the water, predictable. Edges were not as bothersome as I thought they would be (might be more so for steep mank) and would be nice to have in bigger water. Speed was better than you'd expect for the length. I'm 160# and would definitely size up for your weight. I might even consider the larger one for my weight for some extra room and length, but haven't tried it. Anyway, interesting boat unlikely to disappoint.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote