Here's a site to get the mouth watering... - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-23-2006   #1
Don

Preacher of the Profit Paddling Since: 1990
Here's a site to get the mouth watering...

http://www.gowaterfalling.com/waterf...riortour.shtml

Iceland has nothing on Lake Superior.

Advertisement

Old 08-23-2006   #2
cma

Boulder
Being from Minnesota originally, most of those pictures look lilke very low water conditions, you should see some of those in the spring or after a few good days of rain. Lots of great mountain biking up there too.
cma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006   #3

Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
I used to guide backpacking and canoe trips up in the U.P. and there are a LOT of waterfalls up there. Most have been run, but many only in the last ten years. I am still surprised that not many folks have caught on to the fact that the Northwoods is a really great playground. Even in the 90s you could buy wooded lots for $500 an acre.

Many of those shots are very, very, very low water. Manabezho Falls on the Presque Isle is just an awesome drop - super-photogenic with a nice lead-in and then class IV boogie right into the Lake about 100m later. Great climbing and good snow up there as well. Not as much vert, but the Porkies still git-r-done for a lot of pinheads up there.

Oh - the other thing is that "waterfalling" (think that's what they call it) is a popular hobby in parts of the midwest. The object is to hike to waterfalls and take a picture there or something. Sorta the midwest/Northwoods version of climbing 14ers. Anyway, that is why there are websites like that and why someone else has done all the hard work for us already.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2006   #4

Jeez' Don your'e not kidding,AWESOME! 2500 mile shoreline,it's apx. 2100 miles to Miami to put that in perspective.Surprised how much there was in Wisconsin and the concentration of falls on the east shore in Ontario. Got to get up there sometime,also looks very beautiful.

THANKS
cayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006   #5

Golden, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by cma
Being from Minnesota originally, most of those pictures look lilke very low water conditions, you should see some of those in the spring or after a few good days of rain.
Yeah. Superior Falls I think is the one that Tao just ran on Stuntjunkies. It loked like Niagra when he ran it. In the photo is has no water.
blutzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006   #6

more photos of MN boating

IF you want to check out some of the MN falls at higher flows check out a friends page www.fluidgrooveproductions.com
sun_shine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006   #7

Laramie, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1992
http://www.gowaterfalling.com/waterfalls/balls.shtml

I like this one, Balls Falls!
badkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006   #8

Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Nice. And I thought Gary E and crew were the first to appropriate that phraseology to name a drop.

And talk about undercuts. Sandstone...ugh.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caspian

And talk about undercuts. Sandstone...ugh.
Actually, most of the stuff on the North Shore (at least) is metamorphic and igneous. Super complex geology, and while sandstone does exist, most of the creeks I have seen up there are more troubling due to freakish terminal-looking hydraulics than undercuts (not really an issue on many of the creeks).

Check out this site for more info than you could care to know. http://www.turnstone.ca/lsup.htm
jkodadek is offline   Reply With Quote