henson creek info/ upper henson? - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-05-2005   #1
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
henson creek info/ upper henson?

got bored laying around in the after-surgery brace again so i grabbed my camera and headed up henson creek. all of the drops looked clean, if i had to hazard a guess i would say it was running around 300-400 cfs, but it was running clean and clear. the only place i wasnt able to get to was the middle gorge between the dams, otherwise i was able to get pics (ill post them later) and a good scout of everything else. there was wood present in various places but none of it presents a problem as of today. also, what is everyone's normal put in for that section? nellie creek? i went a ways up and scouted, and you could very easily put in at the east end of capital flats (right before the private property) and it looks runnable down. its about 3.3 miles long and it looks class IV with maybe one V. i took pictures, if anyone wants to see them ill post them.

yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2005   #2

Lyons, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Send a message via AIM to erdvm1
If you don't care to post them I'd like to see them
My email is [email protected]
I got bad beta a few weeks ago when I was down there I guy that owns an outdoor shop said even the locals don't run it b/c of all the wood.
erdvm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005   #3

I'd like to see them

I would love to see them. I was thinking about getting in there next week and would love to get a smuch info as possible
pruitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2005   #4
God Amongst Men

i posted a bunch of pics of the regular run, ill post some of the upper a little later.... thats weird about the wood, it mustve cleared out because everything i saw had really clean lines. i dunno, look at the pics and tell me what you think.
Old 06-09-2005   #5

placerville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
we ran some the other day. between the dams is good to go and awesome. we did the portage by roping out up a gully 100 yards or so above the nasty. the rappell back in was kind of gnarl. the last eddies above the portage were pretty hairy, so we roped out a little before. there was wood just above s-turn [1st signifigant drop] that was bad, and a log between s-turn and the 1st dam, also bad. we portaged the last double-drop thing, it looked doable, but had some rocks in the foam of the landing zone for the 1st drop that looked nasty. super-cool gorge[s], deep and tight.
steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005   #6
God Amongst Men

ahh, the s-turn is about the only rapid i couldnt see due to trees and/or lack of access for pictures. was the one you portaged at the bottom the one that had the interesting squeeze at the end? (i think its lower double fives). where did you put in? nellie creek? like i said, i did some scouting on the stretch up to capital flats and it looks like a fairly easy class IV warmup. ill try to get some pictures of that section uploaded too, so others can help decide if it is or not.