Helpa Fat Boy Out... Project 52 or 62?? - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-25-2008   #1

Dekalb, Texas
Helpa Fat Boy Out... Project 52 or 62??

Ok... so heres the deal... I want to get a playboat... really diggin the projects... deal is... im right at about 205 right now, but im only like 5'8 5'9... also... im fucking fat and out of shape... just started working out, and will like be around 180 in a couple months... soo my question is to any of you project owners is which do you think i should go with... the 52 which is suitable for 140-190 or the 62 which i suitable for 180-240??

BooF BoY

P.S. ALSO... anyone who wants a 4 Fun.. .hit me up....

BooF4FooD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2008   #2

I am 150 and am perfect for the P 52, I would say the P 62
bvwp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008   #3

If you go that way, I have a virtually brand new p62 for sale. It has been used on nothing more than class II, and has very minimal scratches. Its $500.
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2008   #4

Laramie, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1994
I'm right at 185 and paddle a 52, for my purposes , I love the boat. Super fast and bouncy on a wave, river runs great for a playboat etc. If I were paddling more in big holes and trying to get more bouyancy for bigger loops, I would rather the 62. But especially where I happen to be doing a fair bit of my playboating is low volume, down river play, (ie. the Poudre) the lower volume allows you to squirt and throw it vert anywhere at the flick of a wrist. It still loops great, and is plenty retentive at my weight, and a beach ball has been giving me a little more loft, but to truly be doing clean, dry-hair loops it feels a little low volume, but for every thing else I wouldn't trade up in volume.
Awoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008   #5

Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Just to throw another angle into the fray....

I am 160 and paddle a 45.... I am 20lbs out of the range of the boat. I took the thigh braces out so i could fit a little better and use a Jackson happy thruster/seat combo. This makes my boat very comfy and very snug.

I made the decision to get the 45 because I paddle mostly in the front range in very low volume play spots like Lawson/Golden/etc. I wanted something that would be easy to throw around.... The only time I regret not having the extra volume is for river running on stuff like clear creek.... Numbers is fine but it does keep me on my toes. The pop is just fine if you have a happy thruster allowing for great loops and space godzillas... I have been learning phonix monkeys and seems that it might be easier to initiate the pirouette with less volume as well.

If I lived in BV I would have gotten the 52 As the play spots are a bit more powerfull.
benrodda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008   #6

Dekalb, Texas
yo, soo i was thinking about maybe going with the 52, and getting the seat/thruster combo... does that add a sufficient enough volume??? and yeah for the time being it will be my only boat, so i will want to do some river running
BooF4FooD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008   #7

Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Boof,

Considering that I am 20 lbs out of the weight range and you will be just within the range of the 52 with the thruster you should be fine. It should add enough volume to get some decent pop. Bear in mind you will be no Steven Wright or anything.

You may also consider taking the thigh braces out. With the seat thing in you will be snug.

And finally sorry if I am stating the obvious but the thruster will add virtually no benefit for river running. In some ways I love river running in the 45. I do a ton of short strokes in the front quarters of the boat with a very forward aggressive posture. Doing more draws than sweeps. This is very important when paddling a low volume boat. Otherwise you will get your ass kicked in it all day.

rodda

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooF4FooD View Post
yo, soo i was thinking about maybe going with the 52, and getting the seat/thruster combo... does that add a sufficient enough volume??? and yeah for the time being it will be my only boat, so i will want to do some river running
benrodda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008   #8

Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
I am 5 10 200lbs and boat the 62 and love it, super stable in holes lots of pop, and river running its awesome. The 62 sits deep so I raise the seat an inch by take in an old camping mat and cutting seat in prints and putting them under the seat pad,It make it a little more slicer and you can toss it a round a lot easier , I have a friend 180 or so that took it in the glenwood hole and he had no problems throwing huge loops etc. Also the combo, I only use the thruster playing and always use the seat, it makes your boat super comfy + its less stress on legs and hips