Help with trailer cargo box - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-24-2011   #1

Hawkeye, Iowa
Help with trailer cargo box

My trailer has room for me to build a large cargo box on the front. It can be 5-6' wide and 2 to 3 feet deep. Looking for ideas on what is the most inexpensive route to take and best bang for the buck with weight etc. Thanks

hawkiirock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2011   #2

Hawkeye, Iowa
Bump. I have done a search and been searching online but haven't seen any good options. I would like it to be big enough to handle my paddles as well as pfds and camping gear.
Will the mods please move this to the gear talk forum if that is more appropriate.
Old 07-25-2011   #3
aka The Curmudgeon

Hopelessly Stuck in Yesterday, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
I put a truck bed type tool box on the front of my trailer. If that's big enough for you, the advantages in a strong, metal, prefab box of a proven design are obvious. You can often find somebody on c-list getting rid of one cheap. I carry 8-10 ammo cans, a big DRE pump, multi throwbags, 3-4 paddles, etc. in mine.
captishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2011   #4

Hawkeye, Iowa
Thanks. I have been thinking about looking for that type of box. HOw much would you say yours weigh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by captishmael View Post
I put a truck bed type tool box on the front of my trailer. If that's big enough for you, the advantages in a strong, metal, prefab box of a proven design are obvious. You can often find somebody on c-list getting rid of one cheap. I carry 8-10 ammo cans, a big DRE pump, multi throwbags, 3-4 paddles, etc. in mine.
Old 07-26-2011   #5

Snowmass, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
They sell them at Home Depot and Lowe's. Check this out:

Tools & Hardware - Auto - Truck Boxes at The Home Depot

I don't know what size trailer you have, but this would work well for me (5' wide, 46 lbs):

Husky 13.33 cu. ft. Full Size Flush Mount Chest Truck Box - HSKAWB60 at The Home Depot
Old 07-26-2011   #6

Hawkeye, Iowa
Those are some nice ones. I have quite a bit of room on the front and am thinking about building a deck box. That has been the closest thing I can find to accomplish what I am looking for. Now its a matter of what is the best way to do it with regards to materials so it can hold up to the elements and not weigh 200 pounds.
Old 07-26-2011   #7

Snowmass, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Just be sure not to exceed your max tongue weight. Mine is 350 lbs (it's just a small 1-1/4" receiver), and could be easy to exceed if I put a big box up there. It's not just the box weight you have to consider; keep in mind the weight of what will go in the box.

It wouldn't be hard to build a box out of 2x2s and 3/8" plywood if you want a custom size/shape.
Old 07-26-2011   #8

leadville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I have a truck bed tool box I want to get rid of. I will try to send you a pic of it make me an offer could use some extre money and room in my yard
g.soutiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011   #9

Hawkeye, Iowa
Good point. 350 is heavier than I would like. I was thinking 1/4" might even be strong enough with the 2x2's. It isn't like it will be getting moved around a lot.

I don't think a truck box will be high enough for what I want. I want it to hold the paddles, PFD's, and camping gear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthNRG View Post
Just be sure not to exceed your max tongue weight. Mine is 350 lbs (it's just a small 1-1/4" receiver), and could be easy to exceed if I put a big box up there. It's not just the box weight you have to consider; keep in mind the weight of what will go in the box.

It wouldn't be hard to build a box out of 2x2s and 3/8" plywood if you want a custom size/shape.