Help Save the Poudre Last Chance!!! - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-18-2008   #1

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Help Save the Poudre Last Chance!!!

Attention River Community
Unless the Army Corps of Engineers gives us a 90 day extention, this is our last chance to speak out about the proposed Glade Res. The meeting is in Greeley, so there will be lots of people from the surrounding area in support of draining our river for track homes.
Thursday, June 19, 2008 7pm
Corps of Engineers Public Hearing on the Northern Integrated Supply Project. University of Northern Colorado University Center, 2045 10th Avenue in Greeley. This will be your biggest opportunity to speak up on behalf of the river that you love. Please plan to come and raise the roof!
SaveThePoudre.org - Don't Flatline the Poudre!

SkidStain is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2008   #2

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I'm gonna try and make it. The larger presence we can make, the better! Thanks for the reminder skidstain, nice surfin' yesterday!
arkriverrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008   #3

Palisade, Colorado
peak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2008   #4

Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 98
I understand the need to protect the entire river bed all the way to the ocean however to make sure it is clear to everyone, this project will not affect run-off in the canyon that we Kayak. If anything it will result in increased flows down our beloved river. The diversion will occur once the white water stops.

And did anyone else notice it hit about 4500 CFS in 83’. That’s cranking.
GPP33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008   #5

Indian Hills, Colorado
Could the lady holding the "P" please turn around?
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008   #6

Bham, Washington
Paddling Since: 1997
ummnn, did you read the DEIS GPP33? It will effect filter plant, will definetly not not result in higher flow in through the canyon, and will severly reduce what water still flows through Fort Collins where we are trying to build a WW Park.
Old 06-18-2008   #7

Mad Scientist/Creeker
GPP33 - you decided to chime in at the wrong time. I'm in a pissed off emotional mood about this whole Glade Reservoir thing and I'm ready to rant. Impeccably bad timing on your part. Hope you don't get your feelings hurt but you're a douche, of the box variety. This project as it is proposed will NOT increase flows in any part of the canyon. Second let's make it clear that your attempt to make it clear that the parts of the river that we kayak will not be effected is unhelpful and ignorant at best.

Pointing that out is in effect saying that if we don't kayak there why do we care. Well we DO CARE! This our river that flows through our f$cking town you d!ck. Get a clue. You can't just protect one part of the river and hope for the best. The Poudre needs our help and this project, technically speaking, is a piece of sh!t. The Draft EIS that the Corps put out is the worst EIS I have ever personally seen. It was rushed out, has cost millions of dollars and fails to adequately address the environmental impacts, on a number of fronts, recreationally and ecologically, that the project would have on the river corridor below the diversion, which is the whole point of EIS in the first place - to find the environmental impacts the project would have and then to mitigate for them. This EIS has essentially no mitigation plan. It has not met its legal requirements under the National Environmental Policy Act and is therefore technically illegal and will be challenged in court if the Corps decides to go through with it. Speaking with a group of Hydrologic Engineers they agreed that this was the worst EIS they had ever seen and that they would be greatly surprised, not to mention disappointed, if this project were permitted to go through after this comment period.

The plan is to use adaptive management for any impacts that occur. Basically if some stuff gets messed up they will try to fix it later. This is unacceptable. This project will decrease the peak flows of the Poudre through Fort Collins by at least 50%, and that is 50% of peak flows that are already decreased by over 50%.

There are so many arguments against this project that it is hard for me to even get into them but go to this open house and make up your mind...
but if you truly are a lover of rivers just trust me that this project is a bad, bad deal for the Poudre.
Old 06-18-2008   #8

Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 98
We’ll I’ll cut you some slack in your duschness since you are obviously quite passionate about this topic and are in a somewhat touchy mood.

Let’s make it clear that I’m not in any way saying that this is a good idea, nor do I support it, I simply clarified that this will not affect flows through the good white water in the canyon. I’m involved in several other sports where elitists try to push us out using false propaganda, 4 wheeling is a prime example. The intention of my post was to avoid the use of any false propaganda that this will kill the kayaking the Poudre as it will not. The linked website clearly states that the diversion will occur around Ft Collins.

In addition you failed to actually support any of your comments with facts, simply saying things like it sucks and it the worst you have ever seen don’t hold much water (no pun intended). If you want to gain support form the community present some facts that the people can use to shut this down, unfortunately emotions don’t get you too far in these types of fights.

And I’d appreciate not having words like “Pointing that out is in effect saying that if we don't kayak there why do we care.” not put in my mouth as my initial statement clarified that this was not my view.

Good luck in your fight, they can be very challenging. I sincerely hope that if this is in fact environmentally unsound that it get’s killed quickly.

Sincerely,

F$cking d!ck.

p.s. no feelings hurt, thanks for caring though.
GPP33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008   #9

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkidStain View Post
Attention River Community
Unless the Army Corps of Engineers gives us a 90 day extention, this is our last chance to speak out about the proposed Glade Res. The meeting is in Greeley, so there will be lots of people from the surrounding area in support of draining our river for track homes.
Thursday, June 19, 2008 7pm
Corps of Engineers Public Hearing on the Northern Integrated Supply Project. University of Northern Colorado University Center, 2045 10th Avenue in Greeley. This will be your biggest opportunity to speak up on behalf of the river that you love. Please plan to come and raise the roof!
SaveThePoudre.org - Don't Flatline the Poudre!
Definitely get in there and make your self heard.

FYI, the deadline for public comments on the DEIS is July 30, 2008, so you still have some time to send written comments. And its never too late to call and complain to your municipal city governments and city councils who are the primary parties pushing this thing forward.
benpetri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008   #10
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Everyone involved, whether in support or opposition, in the Glade project should be required to take a nice long bike ride along the river in town this week. They need to go see, smell, and touch the Poudre as it trucks through Fort Collins at high water. They need to cruise through the really pretty places filled with birds, fish, invertebrates, and all kinds of cool critters that are just a short walk from downtown Fort Collins. These ecosystems, call them invasive or not, are the heart of Fort Collins. High water through town provides so much more than recreation. It's an annual cleansing and an important part of keeping the river alive and healthy.

I wonder how many supporters of the reservoir project have actually taken an afternoon to float, follow, or fish the Poudre below the canyon. Maybe they would feel differently if they did. Those of us that do not support the NISP know why the Poudre needs protected. However, the main reasons are aesthetic in so many ways.

If any bike shops want to donate the rentals, maybe a public ride could be arranged for the board members of the NISP and staff of Save the
Poudre (I bet the save the Poudre people have their own bikes....)?

How about it? Anyone know these people? Anyone have the bikes? I'll be happy to contact the Northern Colorado Water Conservancy District and make the offer.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote