Help keep big oil out of the Lochsa corridor - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 11-18-2010   #1

Help keep big oil out of the Lochsa corridor

Please take a few minutes to read

Idaho Rivers United - Conservation and restoration of streams, riparian areas, salmon and steelhead

and consider lending your voice to the effort to keep mega-loads of oil equipment off of Idaho's Lochsa and Clearwater corridor.

Thanks!

Greg Stahl
Idaho Rivers United
Idaho Rivers United - Conservation and restoration of streams, riparian areas, salmon and steelhead

gregular is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2010   #2

From the ITD News Release.

UPDATE: Hearing scheduled on transport of oversized Conoco/Phillips loads on U.S. 12

MEDIA ADVISORY: The contested case hearing is scheduled for Dec. 8, 9 in Boise before hearing officer Merlyn Clark. The hearing location has not been determined yet. We will announce the location when a decision is made.

- - - - -

BOISE -- Idaho Transportation Department Director Brian W. Ness today accepted a hearing officer's ruling on the shipment of oversized loads on U.S. 12.

"I have reviewed and accept the decision of hearing officer Merlyn Clark that we should proceed with a contested case hearing on the issue. We intend to move forward with scheduling a hearing as quickly as possible," Ness said.

He said interested parties will meet to determine the hearing schedule. Details have not been finalized yet. He appointed Clark to preside over the matter as it moves forward.
kellip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010   #3

Moscow, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1995
Keep in mind that this Conoco/Phillips shipment is just the first of many many more. Exxon has plans for dozens of these "mega-loads," so there is a real chance that your Lochsa paddling experience will be affected by these 10 mph rolling roadblocks if these permits go through. And, that's assuming none of these road-wide loads end up in the river. If that happened, there isn't enough room on the road for a crane big enough to lift the things. Instead they might have to cut it into pieces small enough to lift out with available equipment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2010   #4

Uzbekibekistanstan, Mississippi
So oil imports were running $34 billion last month... I'm not saying I love the idea either, but this country is in serious fiscal trouble. It's about time we quit the NIMBY attitude. By the way, that comes out to be $787,000 per second for imports last month!!
Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010   #5
Abron Cabron

Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Paddling Since: 1999
Signed the petition. Even without ever having been to Idaho, I'd say its a very worthy cause. Clean H2o should stay that way! I don't approve of manipulation and bullying by big oil, even though I am, like everyone, dependent on the product. Doesnt make it right for them to turn massive profit while degrading and destroying our country.
Good luck!
abron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010   #6

Moscow, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1995
Most of loads are headed to Canada, specifically the Alberta tar sands. Oil from Canada is still imported. I believe a few loads are headed to a refinery in Montana. Neither of those things contribute to domestic crude production. So, your concerns about NIMBY getting in the way of increased domestic oil production is unfounded.
Old 12-01-2010   #7

Uzbekibekistanstan, Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post
So oil imports were running $34 billion last month... I'm not saying I love the idea either, but this country is in serious fiscal trouble. It's about time we quit the NIMBY attitude. By the way, that comes out to be $787,000 per second for imports last month!!

I actually meant to say $787,000 per minute. Yes, most of the work is in Alberta, but many jobs will be in the US too. Furthermore, money in North America is likely to circulate back to the US. Unfortunately money sent overseas tends to never return to the US.
Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010   #8

billings, Montana
Paddling Since: Tues
Send a message via Yahoo to mttodd
The conoco loads being discussed are two extremely large coker production drums that were mfg'd in Japan. These units are used to extract the very heaviest components out of the heavy crude that is the staple of western refineries. They allow the refineries to get every last dollar out of a barrel of oil without selling it as asphalt. Apparently the means to construct them in the U.S. no longer exists. These units are destined to replace the old one here in Billings. Last I heard conoco was negotiating a deal with canada to ship them on their highways because of the trouble with Idaho. Keep up the fight. My wife was telling me that her uncle in law owns the trucking company that dumped a tanker full of gasoline in the lochsa some months ago. I would support any efforts to close this road to commercial hauling.
mttodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010   #9

billings, Montana
Paddling Since: Tues
Send a message via Yahoo to mttodd
how about this? Alternate Energy Holdings > Home
watch the video it's absurdly funny
mttodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010   #10

San Juans, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I wonder if the outcry would be the same if it was a string of wind turbine components (150ft blade trailers, 220,000+ lb Nacelle trailers, 100ft steel tower sections, etc) being moved on Hwy 12?

While I am no fan of big oil I do realize that our nation's infrastructure and supply chain relies on highways. I have worked in alt energy and the planning that goes into moving ANY series of oversize and overweight loads is amazing. Before this proposal would be implemented the transportation company would have traveled this corridor many times calculating turn radius's, timing traffic, measuring overhead hazards, etc. While this will make runs on a kick ass river a royal pain the oil industry is not going out of their way to make a bunch of boaters pissed. This road is NOT ideal from a transportation standpoint, so it tells me that there is a reason this road was chosen over others.

I'd rather see the road along the Lochsa choked with Tecate Trucks and burrito wagons but also realize that highways are to be used for commerce as well as transportation.

Maybe if everyone rode their bikes to the Lochsa instead of the multiple hours or DRIVING it takes most to get to the Lochsa from almost anywhere we wouldn't need to build oil refining equipment
dgosn is offline   Reply With Quote