Help for another newbie - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-19-2008   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Help for another newbie

Another newbie needing help on a boat package deal well, mainly the paddle. Here's the story... I know a guy wanting to sell his boat, paddle, PFD, skirt and helmet for what seems to be a pretty good price ($650, maybe talk him down a bit more) According to him, all the stuff is basically new, never took it on a river. The boat is a RPM, and I hear this is a great boat to learn in. (Looking to do mainly river running, maybe some creeking if my skills improve.) My concern is the paddle, it looks like a really nice Werner that has an adjustable offset, or as Werner calls it on their website "ferrule" (have no idea what the difference is.) From the pics and the Werner website, I am thinking this paddle is actually a touring paddle. They guy is going to try to find out what size it is, but said he bought it from a whitewater shop for river running. So my question to all the experts here is, do you think this setup would be good for me to start out in, mainly focusing on the paddle and if would even be usable in whitewater (but opinions on the boat are welcomed too.) Also, I am 6' 175lbs with size 10 booty beers.

Here is the link to Werner site that shows what I think is the same paddle:
Werner Paddles :: Our Paddles

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/4997/dsc03917sb9.jpg

Ty012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2008   #2

Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
Definitely a touring paddle....and looks to be REALLY long. I'd say finding a proper whitewater paddle while learning is pretty important.

Price is high, IMO. Good boat to learn in for sure....but you can probably find one with gear (pieced together if need be), for quite a bit less.

Look around in the Buzz classifieds.....usually lots of good gear.
GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008   #3

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
the price is high and the paddle is a touring one. keep looking. but package deals are the way to go when first starting out. youll find something.
youngpaddler06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2008   #4

Denver, Colorado
From the responses so far, going to pass on this one for sure. I demoed a 08 Jackson Hero and really liked it, and was going to buy one as a year end demo for around $600 for boat only, so I thought this RPM was a decent price. It appears I waited to long and all the shops have sold off their Heros already. Seems a little silly as a beginner to buy new, although it has been tempting as well. Sigh... back to the classifieds here and craigslist. Thanks for the help.
Old 09-19-2008   #5

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
NRS also has a gearswap.
Old 09-19-2008   #6

Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
I have some stuff...

I have a Liquid Logic CR250 and some other gear I'll sell ya for a better deal than the RPM. Considering your weight, you're on the low side for it (I'm 6'2" 205), but the boat will allow you to progress at different skills a little better than the RPM (the CR is considered a "river runner/playboat"....hence the "CR - crossriver" title). I have an astral PFD I'll throw in, splash jacket, and throw bag.....no paddle to offer, however.....but I do have a skirt I'll give ya that'll work for a season or two (some aqua-seal, doesn't leak though). $500
GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008   #7

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodTimes View Post
I have a Liquid Logic CR250 and some other gear I'll sell ya for a better deal than the RPM. Considering your weight, you're on the low side for it (I'm 6'2" 205), but the boat will allow you to progress at different skills a little better than the RPM (the CR is considered a "river runner/playboat"....hence the "CR - crossriver" title). I have an astral PFD I'll throw in, splash jacket, and throw bag.....no paddle to offer, however.....but I do have a skirt I'll give ya that'll work for a season or two (some aqua-seal, doesn't leak though). $500
Boat looks a little big (weight wise) for me and I'm leaning towards a river runner/creeker. (Not sure if the RPM would of been any good at creeking.) Also, with you at 6'2 and 205 wouldn't the PFD and splash jacket be too big for me? (me = 6', 175)

The boats I have been looking at the most are:
08 Jackson Hero (#1 choice, maybe I should just buy new.)
Dagger Mamba 8 (Wonder if raguides has any of these left 4 sale?)
Wavesport Diesel
Dagger RPM
Also have a friend who has a Prijon Creeker 225, but think I may to big for this boat.
(Tried a Remix, didn't really like the feel)
Old 09-19-2008   #8
Kayak/SUP Instructor

The High Ground, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty012 View Post
Dagger Mamba 8 (Wonder if raguides has any of these left 4 sale?)
Might call Christy Sports in Colorado Springs last time I was there he was selling some Demo Mambas.
Old 09-19-2008   #9

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngpaddler06 View Post
the price is high and the paddle is a touring one. keep looking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodTimes View Post
Price is high, IMO. Good boat to learn in for sure....but you can probably find one with gear (pieced together if need be), for quite a bit less.
Since everyone has said the price is too high for the setup in the picture, I told the guy I was going to pass but then got an offer back from the guy for $350 just boat and skirt. Seems good to me for a like new RPM and skirt, but then again I thought $650 was good originally. Any opinions?
Old 09-20-2008   #10

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Sounds like an OK deal.The price doesn't seem outrageous, the RPM's an older boat though.
Personally I would get a newer boat to learn in. The RPM will be good for pool sessions and spring training, but you might be jonesing for a shorter boat with better outfitting (i.e.-Liquid Logic, Jackson, Wave Sport, etc) later on next summer if you paddle a lot.
CKS has some used boats that may fit the bill although they do cost a bit more than $350.

Here's a cheap Paddle that will last a long time.

Good luck.
SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote