Help! - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-24-2012   #1

Help!

Right now there is a guy who's number-one goal is to privatize the Salmon, Selway and Lochsa rivers. He's a county commissioner in Idaho County, Idaho (where those rivers are located). I'm working on his opponents campaign and I need your help. We're trying to drum up support. You can help by simply "liking" his Facebook site here: http://www.facebook.com/Jim.for.Commissioner

I've guided on the Poudre, Arkansas, Colorado, North Platte, Upper Gauley and Main Salmon rivers for most of my adult life. If these places are sold to the highest bidder, we all lose.

This is the front line of our public lands battle.

Thank you for your help.

farp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2012   #2
GoBro

BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
Would you care to provide a little more evidence?
Old 10-24-2012   #3

Sure. I'm working for Jim Rehder. He's running against Jim Chmelik. This is Chmelik on the KLEW news yesterday.
Incumbent Chmelik says he'll continue to fight for Idaho lands | Local & Regional | KLEW CBS 3 - News, Weather and Sports - Lewiston, ID

Privatizing public land is his number-one priority. The lands he is talking about are along the Selway, Salmon and Lochsa rivers. All three are in Idaho County.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2012   #4

Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
He must be from Texas.
GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012   #5
Cpt. No Scout

In a Van, Down By the River
Paddling Since: 91
Well I vote in said county. And correct me if I am wrong, But I think he is talking about privitizing land not rivers. And the land he speaks of was once owned privately and has been taken by the government (forest service) and the building on the land have been burned. He is talking about letting these lands go back to the private sector. To be rebuilt? Am I missing something???
idahofloater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012   #6

Moscow, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1995
I agree that selling the public land to the highest bidder would be bad. I'm also pretty sure that the Commissioners of Idaho County have next to no power to make that happen. Hell, Arizona is trying to take control of the Grand Canyon by statewide referendum. That initiative is equally likely to go nowhere.

For the next time someone suggests "privatizing" federal land, here's some suggested reading. It's out of the US Constitution, so you know it's good. Check out Article VI, clause 2. Then check out a land ownership map of Idaho county. The federal government owns most of it and has done so since before Idaho was even a state. That's not changing any time soon "Constitution or Laws of any state to the contrary notwithstanding."

That said, the incumbent has a point about the lack of economic opportunity in Idaho county. It's just that his proposed solution is nuts. Seems like your guy should be talking about real options instead of getting into a debate on privatization.
Old 10-24-2012   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahofloater View Post
Well I vote in said county. And correct me if I am wrong, But I think he is talking about privitizing land not rivers. And the land he speaks of was once owned privately and has been taken by the government (forest service) and the building on the land have been burned. He is talking about letting these lands go back to the private sector. To be rebuilt? Am I missing something???
You are missing something. He is talking about lands that have only been owned by the people of the United States of America, and large swaths of them too. This isn't just about the Lochsa Land Exchange, which I think you are referring to. This is a region-wide effort to auction off public lands to the highest bidder -- Google "Utah HB 148". Chmelik is organized with the American Lands Council, which aggressively seeks to privatize public lands.
And you know that the land and the river are inseparable. We take places like Ledges on the Grand or Magpie on the Main for granted. If those lands were privatized, those camps could be posted with a "No trespassing" sign the next time you're there.
Old 10-24-2012   #8
Cpt. No Scout

In a Van, Down By the River
Paddling Since: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by farp View Post
You are missing something. He is talking about lands that have only been owned by the people of the United States of America, and large swaths of them too. This isn't just about the Lochsa Land Exchange, which I think you are referring to. This is a region-wide effort to auction off public lands to the highest bidder -- Google "Utah HB 148". Chmelik is organized with the American Lands Council, which aggressively seeks to privatize public lands.
And you know that the land and the river are inseparable. We take places like Ledges on the Grand or Magpie on the Main for granted. If those lands were privatized, those camps could be posted with a "No trespassing" sign the next time you're there.
Thanks, interesting. So, whats your mans plan for economic growth in the county?

Why should I vote for him?
idahofloater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012   #9

Check out his website.
Jim Rehder for Idaho County Commissioners
Old 10-24-2012   #10

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
regardless of economic growth we shouldnt just sell out. hope to see them kept in the publics interest ill talk to some buddies about it to. i know couple salmon high school teachers
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote