Helmets - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-27-2006   #1

Helmets

Anybody have recommendation on Helmets? I'm looking for a helmet that has a visor and offer decent protection for creeking ?( not interested in a fullface) Last helmet was a FNA, good helmet but no visor. What are the Sweet helmets like? Does it offer enough protection for creeking?
Cheers,
Darren

razzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2006   #2

Austin, Tejas
Paddling Since: 2004
sweet helmets

I have the sweet strutter....I'm mainly a playboater and river runner, and it's nice for that, but I probably would go with something else for creeking. It has no ear protection, and sits fairly high on the head. Also the visor is large enough that if you're getting worked in a hole, you'll get mad whiplash.

Jesse
CLIMACVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006   #3

Sweet Rocker!

The new Sweet Rocker has a removable visor and may be just what you are looking for. Great full coverage, particularly for the ears and back of head and uses over a half inch of EPP foam, which is currently the best multi-impact waterproof foam available. Shell is kevlar/thermoplastic composite and is very strong. I have taken a few very hard shots and been happy that I was wearing this helmet. May be a few helmets out there that are just a good, but I am not sure if there are any better.

Kinda pricey but your head is worth it.

BobN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2006   #4

I currently have the Sweet Strutter and love it for easier river running and playing but agree that it is not enough coverage for creeking. As I'm starting to step up the difficulty level I have decided that I need more of a helmet for next season. I have been doing some research and think I'm going with the new Sweet Rocker S1. Seems to be one of the best, if not the best full coverage helmet out there.

KUpolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006   #5

Ft. Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
With a big bill like that on the rocker S1 id be worried about the bill catching a lot of water and pulling the helmet back or off in gnarly currents. Ive seen it happen with sweet strutter, person rolled at the bottom of a fast drop moving pretty quick when she came back up the helmet was "pushed back" and her forehead was exposed.
afox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by afox
With a big bill like that on the rocker S1 id be worried about the bill catching a lot of water and pulling the helmet back or off in gnarly currents. Ive seen it happen with sweet strutter, person rolled at the bottom of a fast drop moving pretty quick when she came back up the helmet was "pushed back" and her forehead was exposed.
Had the same thought initially since my Strutter is definitely prone to doing this, but the visor is heavily vented so I don't think will act as much like a scoop. It is also adjustable so you can slide it back if you are in some big gnar.
KUpolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006   #7
KT

www.whitewaterhelmet.com
KT is offline   Reply With Quote