Helmet suggestions - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-04-2009   #1

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Helmet suggestions

I was paddling yesterday and absolutely nailed my head on an underwater rock while getting punished in a hole. My old yellow pro-tec helmet didn't provide alot of protection. I'm definitely in a real mood to buy another, better helmet that doesn't suck. Anybody have suggestions for a good brand and type? Given my experience I'm pretty willing to spend some decent bread on this.

Demosthenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2009   #2
BKC

WRSI. period.
BKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009   #3

Professional Transient, See above.
Helmets.

I LOVE my head trip for a non-full face. Company was been super cool about fixing or replacing the helmet (I chose to have them fix it for free vs. to buy a new one cheap) after I used its life up.

I hear great things about the Sweet full face from lots of my buddies lately. I may buy one of those soon.

Cheers!
Dave
st2eelpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2009   #4
Spits Hot Fire

N. Cascades, Washington
Sweet. Exclamation point!

Nah, I know they're price isn't for everyone. But i did save 100 on my fullface for buyin a boat from CKS. The wrsi's just do not fit my big oblong head comfortably.

I'm pretty sure it's already paid for itself too. Used it three times in low water super collider alone and seriously almost couldn't feel a thing. Among a few other experiences. I'm almost confident upside down with that thing on.

Took a shot a few years ago from a rock to the whole side of my face(sweet strutter). About the only time i've ever had to stop and shake somethin off. Relieved to still have my teeth though. Anyone see that youtube vid of the guy runnin "rip your head off" and losin half his teeth?

Back in January I got a tooth chipped out from hockey and even though a friend who is a dental surgeon plays with us(and hooked me with a new toof) it's a better investment to protect that shit(wear a cage now). Mommy didn't get me braces for nothin and hospital bills aint cheap. So i'm goin with the fullface on harder days from now on. Like Wu-Tang says....protect yo goddamn neck.

I'm only sayin...
Old 07-04-2009   #5

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Torch is right, go with a Sweet Rocker. I took a good head shot last week and it did a great job of dissipating the impact. That blow with a Strutter would have rung my bell good.

If you search the forums for "helmet" you'll find several long discussions on the matter (plastic vs composite, impact protection, etc...)

If you have the $ go for the Rocker, if not the WRSI or SR are great economical options.
Old 07-04-2009   #6
Kayak/SUP Instructor

The High Ground, Colorado
https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...ter-26057.html

from last week...I think
Old 07-04-2009   #7

Durango, Colorado
I probably should have guessed that there was another helmet thread. Now I feel like a lazy asshole. Oh well, time to get good and drunk to get ready before Hannity comes on.
Demosthenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkins View Post
Torch is right, go with a Sweet Rocker. I took a good head shot last week and it did a great job of dissipating the impact. That blow with a Strutter would have rung my bell good.

If you search the forums for "helmet" you'll find several long discussions on the matter (plastic vs composite, impact protection, etc...)

If you have the $ go for the Rocker, if not the WRSI or SR are great economical options.

Another vote for the Sweet Rocker. I took a brutal hit on a Rocker that I am fairly certain would have left me unconscious with most other helmets. This is a piece of gear I do not mind spending money on. After that hit I replaced the helmet with another Rocker and while they are pricey, I didn't think twice.

I also started with a Pro Tec and there is really no comparison between the two. You will feel much safer.
KUpolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009   #9

WRSI w/ face guard, the fit is great. You don't appreciate proper coverage til you beat the shit out of your face upside down.
sbratt is offline   Reply With Quote