HELLSGATE AZ this weekend - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-07-2008   #1

Boulder, Colorado
HELLSGATE AZ this weekend

So it looks like it is going to go and me and christian are ready to leave tonight and get down there tomorrow to put-on but we need some more people to drive down with. anybody want to go down to AZ with us this weekend, hope to be leaving tonight. Come on people lets go get some.
-Tom
314-517-2245

tj@cu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2008   #2

hellsgate

should be an awesome trip...I'm planning on putting on either friday or saturday....it looks like friday right now...it'll be nice to see some people down there....have you ever done this run??
riversnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008   #3

Not this weekend, but I'm hoping to make it down that way next weekend. I'd be up for anything on the Tonto/Verde/Oak/Santa Maria, etc. I'd love to hit Fossil up when it has enough water to run the drop up top. People have tossed around ideas about the Salt and Gila, too, which I wouldn't be opposed to. If the flows hold, I still need people to paddle with. Got that Monday off, so I'm hoping to get something in. Let me know if you guys or anyone is up for it.

D
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2008   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Count,
The Gila is not to exciting,beautiful transition from alpine to dessert but weak rapids,it's more of a scenic widerness float.We saw one person in three days,some dude walking buck naked in the wilderness.Supposed to be hot springs we couldn't find them.Consider the altitude more than the latitude,we went in March thinking ' hey its warm,close to Mexico' wrong ,we nearly froze to death trying to locate car from takeout,you can't park by river,it all looks the same,need to mark it.Got snowed on on a March Westwater trip once too.Arizona warms up quicker,lower elevation runs might be more pleasant.Isn't Fossil temperature constant, i guess added run off would change it .That box canyon run on the Gila might be a little better rapids and weather wise,it's far though.If you could hold off a week,my bro and I might be able to go,share gas expenses.Anyone going to AZ IN 2 TO 3 WEEKS?
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008   #5

Boulder, Colorado
We are heading down there in an hour or so AZ he we come.
-Tom
Old 02-07-2008   #6
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
who wants to do a salt self support on feb 22 thru 24???

d
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008   #7

Boulder, Colorado
All I can say is what an epic trip, I am sore as hell today. It was just two of us in there and we cracked a boat the first day and really slowed us down. Everything was going great until we hit the last gorge and realized that we would have to get up and out of the gorge then lower the boats back in, this took 3 hours. In the end we took out at the wrong spot found a nice rancher who gave us a shower and beer and a ride to the car. For our trip most of the runoff was low elevation stuff, but as it warms up the high stuff is going to go and this run will be even better. Go get some. and thanks tons to riversnake who drove shuttle without him this wouldn't have worked out, thanks bro.
-Tom

Old 02-11-2008   #8

Student
Send a message via AIM to xkayaker13
As a note to those who are thinking of doing this run, it should be thought of more as a solid class V run. There are a number of rapids that are hard to scout and cannot be portaged. There are also several other rapids that V+ and VI. As advice I would say bring enough food for 3 days if you don't have a guide, or make sure you put on really early. It's one of the coolest runs I've ever done and would recommend it to anyone who's looking for an expedition style run.
Old 02-11-2008   #9

Mad Scientist/Creeker
F%&^in stoker my fire bros! Shwashbucklin good times in AZ this winter and I have not even been yet. I must get down there soon. Glad you boys just went for it. Nice pics.
Old 02-12-2008   #10

Real purdy pics. Very cool. So jealous. What was the cause of the last portage? Do you think it would be runnable with more or less water? Way to get after it.