Hells canyon virgin - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-12-2012   #1

hermiston, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
Hells canyon virgin

Ok Ive been looking threw the old post and searching the internet for info on floating hells canyon. I want to learn all I can before I shove off on my own I am not the most skilled boater out there. That being said Iam kicking this around for next October DIY steelhead fishing trip with some buddies. The only river I float is the grande ronde and have been running it for twenty five years in my riken bucket boat, but thats it. What would you guys recomend ? Any good books, and maps?

badhabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012   #2

Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
You'll be white knuckled the first day then drinking beer the rest of the time. On your scout you can typically pick out the hero and the zero lines, but you can easily mess up on either line. The rapids flush nicely so even if you flip or swim you have time to right your boat and lick your wounds.

As for reading I'm a fan of the reading about the history of the area and getting all psyched out reading about the wood boats and people getting stranded. Give this one a try, Snake River of Hells Canyon: Johnny Carrey, John Carrey, Cort Conley: 9780960356607: Amazon.com: Books.
TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012   #3

Seattle, Washington
Ran it this Oct at 9,000 cfs. Wild Sheep was the only rapid that had a line you had to hit. Granite we ran left, just enter, line up for a V-wave, and you are done. Rush Creek was the only other big drop, and the right side had a big tongue with some standing waves.

All in pretty friendly, though there are features a heck of a lot more powerful than anything you see on the Grande Ronde. If in doubt scout.
slickhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012   #4

hermiston, Oregon
Are there good locations for scouting is one side better than the other? What about landmarks before each rapid any quality float guide show this?
Old 11-13-2012   #5

Seattle, Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by badhabit View Post
Are there good locations for scouting is one side better than the other? What about landmarks before each rapid any quality float guide show this?

Wild Sheep, Granite, and Rush Creek can all be scouted left.

The biggest sign you are at any of these drops is an obvious horizon line. Plenty of slack water, you'd be hard pressed to not know where you were or drop in accidentally. Some in my group scouted all 3, but Granite and Rush Creek were obvious enough I just boat scouted.
slickhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012   #6

Poundtown, Wokastan
Paddling Since: 2020
Oct seems a bit early for stealies up that high. but maybe. usually i've waited until after thanksgiving for the fish to leave l-town before fishing up the snake and salmon. the rounde really does not have anything that compares to the rapids on the snake. not even the narrows. but once your past rush creek everything is golden. good luck.
Old 11-13-2012   #7

Albany, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickhorn View Post
Wild Sheep, Granite, and Rush Creek can all be scouted left.
My preference is to scout Granite from the right, while hiking down the trail to see some pictographs.
- Jerry
malloypc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012   #8

Newberg, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1981
Quote:
Originally Posted by malloypc View Post
My preference is to scout Granite from the right, while hiking down the trail to see some pictographs.
- Jerry
We need a like button Take a sturgen rod!
jpbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012   #9

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
The flow varies considerably due to the dam. Friend had the float guide and I don't remember sheep but I will never forget granite. With a pair of sticks, bigger boat, and years since I flipped its probably nothing more than adrenaline rush now but then it sucked to swim
Old 11-14-2012   #10

hermiston, Oregon
Thanks everybody for the help this is something Ive wanted to do for a long time and never really saw it threw. Hopefully we can make it happen next fall and keep it right side up. I get worried when my daughters want to go and hate the thought of me making a mistake that could hurt them. Keep the info coming I dont want any suprise. Also what kind of time table should I be looking at like dam to doug bar? heller bar? I should have a full nine days but need to have some plan. Thanks