Headwaters of the Rio - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-05-2015   #1

the fort, Colorado
Headwaters of the Rio

What's the scoop on the Upper Rio Grande above the reservoir? I've been hunting in the Weminuche and spotted a mini gorge that looks like some decent class V boulder sections? I looked in WWSR and there's no mention of this stretch other than the class III through the meadows. Any locals got some beta on the gorge above the reservoir? Looked like there were some potential sieves.

prozoned is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2015   #2

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Good info to be found on these 2 threads, including several photos I took scouting it a few years back:

https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...ers-20071.html

https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...ils-37717.html
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015   #3

the fort, Colorado
hey thanks for the info, I stumbled across your TR when I searched the buzz. Sounds like a great adventure run with no exposure. I'll be back down there at the end of September, hopefully I'll be able to poke around in there. My curiosity will get the best of me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2015   #4
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
Thanks for linking, Logan. Lots of good info in those.

For those willing to work for it there is a fair amount of potential in that area....people have reported Ute Creek could be holding a little bit, as could Bear....Pole Creek drains through some eroded volcanic tuff and has some interesting mini gorges up above, an a gnar gorge that might but NR but has a short stretch down to the Rio G that looks good. Also,just off 149, Clear Creek (below NCC Falls) has some interesting options, some V+++ gnar, some mild and probably fun stretches, and one impressive gorge that is just waiting for a 1st D.....good luck and let us know!

that is a beautiful area but the beetles are hitting it just as hard as the front range, and with way less conversation. I think that area is ripe for a major fire...thoughts? anyone?
Old 09-06-2015   #5

the fort, Colorado
I would have to agree with the potential those basin's and drainages hold. Since first being in the country back in July I have been amazed with the whole area. I'm elk hunting up Bear Creek, which I don't think has enough gradient/volume to be worth messing with. Pole creek looks like it has potential, just as much water in there as in the Rio when they meet up. Haven't checked out Ute Creek yet, but on the map it looks good. Beautiful, wild, gnarly country down there. I hope to someday soon have the knowledge, skill set, experience, and balls to do some exploring of the whitewater down there!
As far as beetle kill the whole place is trashed and will probably burn soon, a lot of it already did in the South Fork Fire.
Old 09-06-2015   #6
God Amongst Men

Well said! Ute Creek has a couple of gorges cut through the tuff/breccia of the area, the upper one has some decent looking features on GE, while the lower one looks like it might be a bit full on. But, that's from satellite photos, who know what it really looks like! Good luck on the hunt and enjoy your time down there!
Old 09-06-2015   #7
God Amongst Men

Old 09-06-2015   #8

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Are my eyes messing with me or do I see a arch across the creek in that satellite photo.
k2andcannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015   #9
God Amongst Men

no, i think you are correct! boat through an arch and then over some scary waterfalls
Old 09-06-2015   #10

Ft. Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Just a side note on the comments about beetle kill.

Although it is often stated as fact by various folks, for the most part research has not shown that beetle kill greatly increases fire risk and actually it is less of a risk in many stages of the beetle kill. Most of the major fires that hit Colorado in recent years were not burning through significant beetle kill. Standing dead beetle kill actually has a lower burn risk than live timber in most situations. Lots of down beetle kill on the ground can increase certain kinds of fire risk for a couple of years.

Sure it can burn if a fire is running through but beetle kill is not an especially high fire risk. Dense stands of live ponderosa pine are a higher risk.
outwash is offline   Reply With Quote