Heading to NM for work. Looking to paddle! - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-11-2013   #1
---------

Craig County, Virginia
Paddling Since: 2004
Heading to NM for work. Looking to paddle!

I will be working in Espanola area for the next few months. I am looking for some people to meet up with and boat. What would be the best boat to have for the area Jackson Fun or Jefe? Any advice would be greatly appriciated.

Jeremy
864-710-0461

STEEPNDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2013   #2

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
First off, I'll be down from Salida boating the Racecourse on the Rio this Sunday if you want to meet up with some folks. Then down there again at least one other weekend this month.
As for the boat... depends on what kind of what you want to paddle. I'd say take both. The RC is about 5 miles of mellow but playful Class III with a good park and play spot at Sleeping Beauty above 550 or so, all road side. You can run it every day after work coming from Espa.
Then there's the Taos Box. Gorgeous, totally remote, several much bigger Class IIIs with a couple of IVs at higher water. Totally fun in a playboat if you're up to it, but for the length of the run you might want a larger boat for comfort.
Then there are some much more intense runs like the Upper Taos Box, the Rio Embudo, the Red, and the Rio Pueblo. These have a generally short season as the runoff for the creeks happens fast in Northern NM, especially this year. Definitely want a creeker for those... the word is manky.
All of that may or may not make your mind up about what boat to take... but I hope it helps to at least give you picture of what you'll be dealing with.
I lived in Taos for a while and know the area well, so feel free to contact me over the Buzz if I can help out with any beta. If I'm down there, I'm always happy to hook up for an easy RC shuttle.
Best of luck!

rivervibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013   #3

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
The Adobe Whitewater Club out of Albuquerque seems to be the biggest paddling club in NM. I see someone from their group on the Racecourse every time I am down there. Might be a good resource for meeting other local boaters.

Adobe Whitewater Club
lmyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2013   #4

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2009
Welcome to an amazing state, the land of enchantment!
There are a couple of active ways to hook up with paddlers in the area.

The first is the Albuquerque/Santa Fe Meetup group (Greater Albuquerque / Santa Fe Kayak Community (Albuquerque, NM) - Meetup) is quite active and you should be able to hook up with paddlers on the Rio Grande and other local rivers... (the Chama). There is a meetup to paddle the Race Course on Saint Paddy's day which might be a good way to meet other paddlers. I would be on it, but I'll be in Tennessee then.

The other resource is on facebook: The New Mexico Whitewater Kayaking group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/311286975604339/)

See you on the Rio,

Pedro
prgsmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013   #5
---------

Craig County, Virginia
Paddling Since: 2004
Thanks for all the advice! Looks like some good resources. I am heading there next Monday so I am out for this weekend but it looks like the racecourse is the place to find folks for an after work run. I will be working weeks on and then some days off. Thanks again.

Jeremy
STEEPNDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013   #6
Abron Cabron

Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Paddling Since: 1999
Hey Jeremy- I would definitely bring both boats.... and skiing, climbing and mtn. biking setups too....TSV and ski SF are still going strong, with great BC as well.... like Rivervibe said there's a little bit of everything... theres a fair number of paddlers out of Santa Fe where i live, and I can hook you up w/ friends here, and I def. try to get out every week if possible as well... Pm me if you'd like, i'll send you my #... I'm not a class V boater by any means, but i can point you towards those friends too
we do have a little gem down here... you can always find something to do....
-Abe

and p.s. we still float n' splat the pilar stretch pretty much as low as it gets, far below the recommended levels, so you can get wet all summer... and it will prolly be that way again this year, unfortunately. the Rio peaked in March last year, because of Irrigation.
abron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013   #7
Abron Cabron

Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by prgsmall View Post
Welcome to an amazing state, the land of enchantment!
There are a couple of active ways to hook up with paddlers in the area.

The first is the Albuquerque/Santa Fe Meetup group (Greater Albuquerque / Santa Fe Kayak Community (Albuquerque, NM) - Meetup) is quite active and you should be able to hook up with paddlers on the Rio Grande and other local rivers... (the Chama). There is a meetup to paddle the Race Course on Saint Paddy's day which might be a good way to meet other paddlers. I would be on it, but I'll be in Tennessee then.

The other resource is on facebook: The New Mexico Whitewater Kayaking group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/311286975604339/)

See you on the Rio,

Pedro
Pedro, they are actually starting the restoration work out on Buckman....we should definitely try to meet up about the WW park plan....
abron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013   #8

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by abron View Post
unfortunately. the Rio peaked in March last year, because of Irrigation.
Any insight on when they will start irrigation this season? I assume it's usually around the same time every spring...

Quote:
Originally Posted by abron View Post
Pedro, they are actually starting the restoration work out on Buckman....we should definitely try to meet up about the WW park plan....
I am stoked on this. Whiterock is an incredible resource for the SF community that is sorely under-used.....and I think the reason is primarily the access at Buckman.
lmyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013   #9

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Irrigation season in the SLV is typically from April 1st-November 1st, although the Division Engineer can alter that to make the season longer or shorter. I had heard some rumors they may bump it back to April 15th on account of the depressing low snowpack and storage levels in the Rio Grande basin.

Irrigation definitely takes the peak off the hydrograph in normal years, but last year warm days, high winds, and numerous dust on snow events killed runoff
ukonom is offline   Reply With Quote