Mountain Buzz banner

HazMat Truck Accident and North Fork South Platte

Tags
accident
3K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  mike a 
#1 ·
I just spoke with Dave at Denver Water Board. It appears that they may be cutting off the flow from the Roberts Tunnel on the North Fork for this weekend due to this accident. Stay tuned, if you were planning to paddle up there.

#3 ·
I think the spill was on lovleand pass just above the basin. It seems that a whole bunch of car wash chemicles dumped into the North Fork of the Snake river that flows into Lake Dillon near the tunnel. So I guess to stop contamination they are shuttting it down. That is all I know. Keep the lake full and save Baily for when everyting else is dry. USB soon... :)

#4 ·
Shiatt wanted to run the Snake this year and Foxton/Waterton this weekend,hope it's temporary. the river sure was orange lookin on the news.The idea of sending trucks over Loveland Pass and not thru Eisenhower to avoid problems kind of backfired ,eh.

#5 ·
we're painting the fishes orange...

From 9news.com:

The State Patrol said a double box trailer truck combination overturned on U.S. 6 on the west side of Loveland Pass, about a mile from Arapahoe Basin Ski Area at 4 a.m. Friday.

The two trailers were carrying eight different types of hazardous products. Only one of the eight containers ruptured. It spilled more than 400 gallons of concrete dye. The substance was initially reported to be detergent.

Crews worked to keep the chemicals out of sources that supply Denver Water, the Snake River Water District and Dillon Reservoir. Officials have not said how much of the chemical reached the stream.

#6 ·
Uh oh. If it's acid stain (colorant for cured concrete) than it might be a carcinogen. If it was me, I wouldn't take chances boating with this stuff (sadly, I was using it today for work--from that perspective I would probably rather get cancer from boating than working!@).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.