Hazard in Boulder Creek Play Park - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-25-2010   #1

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Hazard in Boulder Creek Play Park

Tom, Sue Cherry, and I found a pretty nasty hazard on Boulder Creek, in SPIN CYCLE, which is 2 features above widow maker (which is just below the bridge). On RIVER RIGHT, there is a cable wire (from the gates that used to hang) anchored deep in the eddy extending all the way up to the guard rail - where it is bolted. I have no idea why its bolted on to the guard rail. There is a lot of slack in the line making a lot of the cable submerged. It can be seen in the RIVER RIGHT eddy coming up, at an angle, out of the water - when the water comes up (and probably not even very much more up) it will not be visible from the water - Tom's eagle eyes, saw it first today. We could not pull it out of the water - didn't budge, not even a little. It needs some bolt cutters. IT HAS SERIOUS POTENTIAL FOR ENTANGLEMENT!!!!
We tried to find some bolt cutters to deal with it, but to no avail. If anyone has any BOLT CUTTERS (or tool to cut think cable wire) I would go back with you and swim down to cut it as low as possible. I could help out tomorrow, but can't Tuesday.
Thanks, hope everyone is having fun out there

Beth

Advertisement

Old 04-25-2010   #2

Uzbekibekistanstan, Mississippi
Years ago I bought a pair of bolt cutters to cut off a bike lock after I had lost the key. I'd be happy to lend them out if anyone still needs them.
Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010   #3

Boulder, Colorado
I'll try to go have a look tomorrow at lunch. I didn't spot it paddling down last night after talking to you guys but it was getting gloomy. Might be good to try a come-a-long on that cable before cutting it off and leaving something under water.
Jim
yojimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2010   #4

Boulder, Colorado
The come a long's a good thought. If you have trouble seeing it from the water just follow it from the guard rail on the road down. Let me know if I can help. I can't paddle til Wed but I could still meet you to help.
Old 04-26-2010   #5

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I might be able to go later in the afternoon to try to help remove it.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010   #6

Boulder, Colorado
HEy - I just realized I wrote River right and Its actually RIVER KEFT. Sorry about that! I'll see if I can edit it int he original message. I'm going to give Parks and Recs a call and see it they want to take care of it.
Old 04-26-2010   #7

Boulder, Colorado
FYI - I talked to Boulder Parks and Rec to see if they might want to deal with it, but haven't gotten an answer yet. They said they don't really manage the creek (?), but they would get back to me and let me know if it was something they would address. They mentioned it that whoever put the gates up might want to have a look at it. I don't know who that is.
I just want to update so no one goes out on a mission only to find that it has been dealt with already.
Old 04-26-2010   #8

Boulder, Colorado
Its out. A couple of kayakers got it this afternoon.
Old 04-26-2010   #9

Boulder, Colorado
Thanks for the update Beth and thanks to whoever pulled it.

I am sad to say (because I did many slalom practices and races on the creek back in the day) but maybe the rest of those wires should be pulled if they are never going to be used again. People hang ropes off them to "surf" the drops, etc. Nate Lord at Dawson School used to do slalom stuff there with his team; I'll try to see if he's still around and concurs.

Going to try to catch some of that runoff tomorrow and Wed.

Jim
yojimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010   #10

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
There's also another hazard down near the Boulder High School. there is a large tree that is the river and you would probably need a chainsaw or something to get it out.
Mmcquillen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ark, boulder, boulder creek