Hawaii 5 Oh - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-10-2008   #1

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Hawaii 5 Oh

How do you handle funnel falls when Hawaii 5 Oh is out? Do you square up and punch it or can you sneak it? I've only seen it once and don't really remember the run. I've done many, many runs at 10,000 and below, but it looks like I might be hitting it at 12,000 to 13,000 in a 14' boat. Any other info on this level is appreciated. Thanks.

BH

Ponderosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2008   #2

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
14'er?

You sure your boat is big enough for that?
WestSlopeWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008   #3

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestSlopeWW View Post
You sure your boat is big enough for that?
HA HA Mr. Williams.
Ponderosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2008   #4

Icebox, Colorado
Paddling Since: 98

Its a sneak in the teens. I have not seen but have heard of people flipping when trying to punch it. Just ran it at 15,000 and it was a lot of fun. Ferry into it, pull back and hit the slot there is another lateral from the right. Right between them and you should be fine.
Run surprise left due to a big whole at river right. Bust through the lateral of Skull and you should be smooth sailing from there...
Have Fun
grandyoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008   #5

Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
The one time I was there at that level was in a kayak, but the raft with me hit the two waves straight-on, pivoting between them so as to not hit the second sideways. It's a great level for sure.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008   #6

Hi,

In the teens, I hit the Five-O wave as low as I can, at an angle I estimate will turn me so I'm square when I hit the next wave, coming in from the right. Hit the Five-O wave high and square at that level and you likely won't punch it, but rather get surfed sideways into the lower wave, and then it's a long, hard swim almost for sure.

Work as hard as you can to stay as close to the right wall as possible above Skull. The boils and swirlies there want to push you to the center of the river. But you'll need all the distance you can get to build momentum, to break the lateral coming off the left bank. Do that right and Skull is a piece of cake. Do it wrong and it'll be something very different.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
VP, GCPBA
gcpba.org
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008   #7

Professional Transient, See above.
Fun moves in Funnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by richp View Post
Hi,

In the teens, I hit the Five-O wave as low as I can, at an angle I estimate will turn me so I'm square when I hit the next wave, coming in from the right. Hit the Five-O wave high and square at that level and you likely won't punch it, but rather get surfed sideways into the lower wave, and then it's a long, hard swim almost for sure.
[In a raft] Yeah, what he said. I hit the 5-0 wave high though, keeping the triangle rock closer to the raft (usually scrape it for fun, and makes it more wild for clients). This keeps me more on the center line through the rest of the rapid. I don't like being near that right wall (or the rocks on the end on the right).
So, you're still on the normal line. Just angle the bow a bit towards the left to address the five O wave. I don't completely square up to it so the 5-0 spins my bow over to the right and then I'm addressing the next wave from the right.

Or, when I used to guide it, sometimes we'd approach the triangle rock backwards, hit the rock with the stern, spinning the boat. Go down the tongue with the boat spinning, so by the time you're in the rapid, the boat is forward and properly addressing waves.

Cheers
p.s. how many different ways came we come up with to run it!
st2eelpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008   #8

OT, but Steel: Is that Zeta?
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008   #9

Professional Transient, See above.
OT- Zeta

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNT View Post
OT, but Steel: Is that Zeta?
Yep
st2eelpot is offline   Reply With Quote