Has the Colorado peaked? - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-21-2013   #1

D'ango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Has the Colorado peaked?

Is it going to steadily drop now, or a quick spike when it warms back up? Trying to get an early week WW plan going.

Bornwithatail is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2013   #2

It will come back up when it warms up. There is a decent amount of snow left in the upper c basin, and much of the drainage got more snow this week.
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013   #3
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I love the annual "Have we peaked?" thread. The runoff is just starting! Although down there in the south you guys are a bit short on snowpack. Don't worry, we haven't peaked in Colorado.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2013   #4

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
If you've never seen these nifty 10 day flow forecasts they might help. There's one somewhere for just about every gauge. Here's my local Dotsero:
http://www.cbrfc.noaa.gov/gmap/list/...rt=&type=river
eklars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013   #5

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Drove over a few passes this weekend. Lot's of snow up high still..... like on the order of 3ft+ on Fremont Pass and was dumping snow. I think we will still see a higher peak everywhere except the San Juan and Rio Grande basins.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013   #6

D'ango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
thanks

Ahh, very good, then. Up here everything's 'bout gone & they're not releasing from Flaming Gorge so filling still. Good cause was wondering about the Ark as well. Okiedokie!
Bornwithatail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013   #7

Salt Lake, Utah
Paddling Since: 2006
sorry to be a debbie downer, but i believe most of the major drainages have peaked in colorado. i would be shocked if the yampa or colorado get higher than they were last week. And all season long i've heard the Ark is not doing so well, but i haven't looked into that one. a bad year following a historically bad year doesn't give me much confidence in an extended run off this season.
skiersteve3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiersteve3 View Post
sorry to be a debbie downer, but i believe most of the major drainages have peaked in colorado. i would be shocked if the yampa or colorado get higher than they were last week. And all season long i've heard the Ark is not doing so well, but i haven't looked into that one. a bad year following a historically bad year doesn't give me much confidence in an extended run off this season.
Did you spend the month of April under a rock? Most drainages got hammered in April bringing the snowpack to near normal. All that late snow will mean decent peaks, but I don't think it will sustain for a long season unless the weather stays cool. Historically, most drainages peak early June, we're on schedule for that to be true this year.
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013   #9

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Did you spend the month of April under a rock? Most drainages got hammered in April bringing the snowpack to near normal. All that late snow will mean decent peaks, but I don't think it will sustain for a long season unless the weather stays cool. Historically, most drainages peak early June, we're on schedule for that to be true this year.
I agree Nathan, and in fact I was predicting a late May peak, but with light snow and cold temperatures for a week now I think we will be looking at first to second weekend in June for peak on the Ark.

My references to Fremont Pass bode well for the Colorado too. The headwaters of Tenmile Creek, East Fork Eagle and the Blue are all right there. Looked like fantastic coverage for backcountry skiing. Looked to me like the water that has come down at this point was from below 11,000' and south facing slopes.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013   #10

Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Maybe Utah didn't experience the snow redemption we had this April and May? Stoked the Poudre is at 100% of average snowpack!