Has anyone heard about this in Idaho? - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-01-2009   #1

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Has anyone heard about this in Idaho?

Oilfield trucks, trailers to be routed through Missoula, Lolo Pass starting next fall

Un-flipping believable. Unfortunately no information about the route up the Lochsa, Hwy 12, which is about a dumb of a place to take huge trucks as anywhere. I'm searching for info, and spreading the word. Seems like it could be a big deal for a wild and scenic river with a death-trap road as a route.

Sure, they'll build big pull-outs along the Blackfoot in Montana, WTF are they going to do along the Lochsa? I can only imagine some of those turns, and a 162' truck "crabbing" around them. Only if they Star Trek and can "beam" around them.

Advertisement

Old 12-02-2009   #2

Little Village, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Shouldn't they rethink this and re-route asphalt trucks over that road? Worked up the Poudre...
Old 12-02-2009   #3

Gallatin Gateway, Montana
Paddling Since: 1996
That's weak sauce....they should ship the equipment to Vancouver and then drive it across Canada. Hopefully MTDOT will shut it down.
MT_Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2009   #4

at my house, Montana
No kidding, but I doubt MDT will do so. Not a lot of rationale since the roads they'll use are so big. Even Hwy 89, which used to be awfully scary in the wind, was widened. Nothing compares to how bad hwy 12 is though. I don't think there's any way across canada that would work? Not at least their transcontinental Hwy which has lots of snow sheds. They'd have to go way north, or south darn near to Eureka. I wonder why they don't just make the equipment up there? More jobs overseas gone I suppose.
Old 12-03-2009   #5
A Political Theorist

Gonzorango, Colorado
Try the folks at MEIC for info and contacts

James D. Jensen
Executive Director
Montana Environmental Information Center
Helena, MT
Welcome to MEIC — Montana Environmental Information Center
Droboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009   #6

the fort, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
it took two asphalt cement spills into the poudre before CDOT would make their contractor reroute trucks into wyoming, avoiding the poudre down low.
Old 12-04-2009   #7

Moscow, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1995
I just want to note that these trucks will not be carrying Haz Mats, they are big trucks carrying big loads that don't fit under most tunnels and overpasses. The equipment will be newly manufactured fractionation (frac) setups that won't get gunked up with haz mats until they reach the tar sands in Alberta. It's not like they will be trucking high grade nuclear waste from Lewiston to Missoula for a year. I'm sure this route was not the first choice, but it appears to be only available route without overpasses and tunnels.

Granted Rt. 12 is sketchy in a regular car and parallels a truly precious stretch of river, but I'm sure wide loads have taken that route before and will continue to do so. Will it suck if one goes off the road into the Lochsa? Yes. Will the plan create a lot of heavy truck traffic on an otherwise lightly traveled road? Yes. Will it get a little crazy during Memorial Day weekend? Probably. Is this the same thing as asphalt trucks falling into the Poudre? No.

I think this sucks more for the people in Missoula than it does for the Lochsa.
Old 12-04-2009   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Dweller View Post
That's weak sauce....they should ship the equipment to Vancouver and then drive it across Canada. Hopefully MTDOT will shut it down.
They could could come in Vancover and transfer to barge, travel up the columbia river and offload near kennewick, then travel, still have the crappy truck traffic to deal with.
Palo Duro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009   #9

at my house, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlyingfish View Post
but I'm sure wide loads have taken that route before and will continue to do so. Will it suck if one goes off the road into the Lochsa? Yes. Will the plan create a lot of heavy truck traffic on an otherwise lightly traveled road? Yes. Will it get a little crazy during Memorial Day weekend? Probably. Is this the same thing as asphalt trucks falling into the Poudre? No.

I think this sucks more for the people in Missoula than it does for the Lochsa.
A wide load up the Lochsa? You know what "assume" means, don't you? This is more like a triple long, and triple wide load. The latest Idaho media reports make it sound a bit different, hence my interest in finding out what is really going on. How many loads is it, and what seasons? Are they incorporating the publics need and use of the roads? Have they even talked to the public or business owners along the way? I hope they'll be planning around big travel weekends, hopefully that's not a real concern. One or two of those suckers in the river, or jacked across the road, especially in the winter, that's the problem, and their fuel (hence the haz mat equipment on board).

The roads once you hit Missoula are so well developed, people might complain because they can't get to Walmart in 5 seconds to save 5 cents, but there's likely no real issue. Commuters up Hwy 200 will not be too happy, that's probably why they are planning pull-outs. Missoulians will actually enjoy the novelty. Until I realized they were coming up Hwy 12, it sounded pretty amazing actually.

Hwy 12 below Fish creek, not really a big deal unless they tear it up crabbing around corners. The further up the road eyou get, the more terrifying it is with just regular semi's, which don't even run in the winter. I really can't imagine they are planning to do this in the winter, but that sounded like their schedule from the Missoulian article. The idaho story said something like 40 trips only. That's a big difference, which is it?

Imagine a THREE STORY truck, over half a football field long, not only the potential for it to go in the river, but how would they get it out and what damage would they do getting it out, and what kind of debris would be left behind? Seems like a recipe for a cluster-fuck of a problem.
Old 12-07-2009   #10

Moscow, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1995
Lhowe, can you link the Idaho story? The frac rigs I've seen aren't as big as you're describing, but maybe I'm not thinking of the right equipment. The stuff I've seen in WY is a little longer than a typical trailer and a bit taller. Seems like there was a lot of roadwork on the lower stretch of the Lochsa this Fall. Maybe they were prepping for the big trucks.

Are you sure that semis don't use that road in the winter? I think there was a story about an avy putting a truck in the river a year or two ago. Or was that a late season avy once they opened it back up to truck traffic?