Hanging Draw - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-16-2006   #1

Hanging Draw

I almost have my BCU 3* kayaking, i just need to perfect my Hanging Draw - I always end up going round in circles. Does anyone have any advice on how to improve my Hanging Draw? Thanks very much for your help!

samtomhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2006   #2
&d

gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
BCU, british canoe union or something? i think what you must mean, in american is "duffek" since its the most complicated stroke technique im aware of, and done when not moving forward it will draw the boat toward the paddle, while the paddle sorta hangs there.. .. if so .. try rotating your hips/torso against the paddle, without stroking per se, just feather the paddle blade open or closed, depending on which way you want pressure. also make sure you arnt rotating harder either forward or backward, because that would cause you to go in circles
&d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006   #3

Fort Collins, Colorado
I found that moving the paddle forward and back slightly during the hanging draw help a lot. Especially because the point that will make you not turn at all changes as you slow down.

I thought a duffek was where you built up some forward momentum and then stuck your paddle in and used it to pivot the kayak but a hanging draw is a uses forward momentum and paddle angle to draw you sideways without pulling the paddle towards the boat. (But I could easily be worng)
scannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2006   #4
&d

gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
it was in some movie i saw a long time ago, they showed two applications of the same stroke, one in flat and one in moving water, and called it a duffek. the one in moving water was only a portion of the flatwater move
&d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006   #5

Hanging Draw

Thanks very mcuh for your help. Hanging Draw is to move you sideways while going forward by planting the paddle in parallel to the boat on either side and twisting it to make you move that side. And yeah, that's right; BCU is the British Canoe Union. Thanks for all your help, i will give it ago when i go kayaking tomorrow night.
Thanks again,
samtomhop is offline   Reply With Quote