Hand Paddling Finger Soreness - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-15-2013   #1

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Hand Paddling Finger Soreness

I got an amazing pair of hand paddles a couple weeks back and have been playboating with them all the time since, but the one thing that kills me is how stiff/sore my fingers are after I take them off. I spent about 6 hours in the water over the weekend and typing at work is pretty rough. Anybody run into this too and have any advice? Thanks!

TheKenjammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2013   #2

Farmington, Utah
Paddling Since: 2009
What brand hand paddles are they? I am an avid hand paddler, and I have dealt with finger soreness. One or two things will happen you will either get used to it or not. If you don't you have some options. One thing you should focus on is not putting all the pressure on your finger tips. Focus the power on your thumb, and where you palm meets your fingers. Also you can glue foam to the hand paddles just underneath you knuckles where your fingers, and palm meets. Use your pinky, and thumb to do pry strokes, and keep the power in your palm. I don't use foam, but I have went back, and forth on the idea. Let me know if that helps. I make hand paddles, and I have been wanting to put together some instructional hand paddling videos together for this reason, but I have been having supplier issues which puts a damper on things.
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013   #3

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Thanks for the advice, I do put a lot of pressure on my fingertips so I'll try using my palms more. I bought them from a local guy in golden named Peter, he makes them by hand and they are incredible. I think it's where I'm placing all the pressure that is killing me, since they actually do have a layer of thin foam. Here's his site 4playpaddle.com
TheKenjammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2013   #4

Farmington, Utah
Paddling Since: 2009
Okay cool. More foam, and changing the pressure point may help.
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote